Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fabulous Night

Got back from my Astronomy Society meeting at around midnight and as I'm not working tomorrow thought I would pop out for a quick session witn the Bino's.

What a session - only out for about an hour and 20 mins but had a great session. Warmed up on M13, M29 and Alberio. Moved on to M71.

Then worked my way down the length of Aquila starting from Altair. Found M11 the Wild duck cluster, moved from there down a curved cascade of stars to M26.

Then star hopped to M16 - The eagle nebula - spent a while enjoying this. Dropped down to M17 and M18 and onto M24, swung left to M25 then back across to M23 then dropped down to M20 and M21 - Wow!

The best was yet to come though a little further down I hit M8, The Lagoon Nebula - Jaw dropping sight, wish I had lugged the scope out for this session now. Spent ages looking at this, got to be one of the best objects up there.

Finished off with M22, M19, M62, M4, M80, M12 and M10.

Great night, lots of first viewings - I love my Binos!

Off camping in Suffolk this weekend - guess what I'm taking with me :)

I did not have the DSO-show you had, but still it was a good night. Looked for M13 and a sattelite came into my FOV, manually tracked it and that's a nice sight (just lucky I guess).

In the beginning there was a lot of wind, but after a half an hour it settled, so stayed out until 1.15 am (day off today).

I was lucky last night. Clarity was good and not a cloud in sight. I could even make out the Milky way from Cygnus all the way down to the southern horizon which is unusual from my location.

Forcast for the wekend in Suffolk is not to good nw with cloud predicted at night. The days look good though :).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks :). I have just brought an old 8" Orion Optics Europa and am eagerly waiting for a clear night when I can lug it to a dark site with a good south view and check out these M's in it.

You had a really good night observing there Rob. :)

Sounds brilliant having fun with your bins! The Lagoon Nebula is a special one I agree. I heard that it has an actual dimension of 110 by 50 light years! Last time I viewed it I tried to spot the Bok globules. :)

Sounds a great night indeed. They are very handy tools big binos. Wouldn't be without my 15x70's. Had some spectacular views of M31 from a dark site last year. Just waiting for the really good nights to arrive this year.

Archived