Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

(Yet another) EP Discussion thread

OK I recieved my 26mm 2" from Steve yesterday, what a lovely piece of kit it is! :D

BUT i am in the market in the next 4-6weeks for another couple of EP's. I have got the 26mm Wide Angle 2" for the nice widefield shots.

I have also got a nice 7mm (or 5 or 9mm or something, too cold/wet to go check) Ortho for high mag views of Saturn and hopefuly Jupiter and Mars later this year.

I would now like something around the 30-60quid mark (nearer the 30 if you please :lol:) that will give me an in between magnification as well as wide AFOV, I am thinking about a 15mm EP. I have spotted 2 potentials. One is a william optics one Blurb below:

WILLIAM OPTICS

How many comparable EPs at this price? This 5-element super-wide angle EP’s panoramic views at 72 deg. F.O.V. will leave you speechless. For day and night!

Comes in a just under £60

or this from Astronomica

This is a high quality, fully multi-coated, 5-element eyepiece, featuring a modern optical design.

It offers extremely well corrected 67 degree wide-field vistas, with pin-point sharp stars right across the field and excellent eye-relief. They can be used on "fast" telescopes - telescopes with a short focal ratio - while still retaining respectable field sharpness.

They come complete with fold-down rubber eye-shield. 1.25"/31.7mm fitting.

It comes in at £49

I have heard of william Optics 'Scopes as well as focusers but dont know anything about the EP's. Astronomica I know nowt about.

Whats the opinions folks?

BTW I am also thinking of a 2X barlow lens in the same price bracket, and am wondering about a 2" one, this would give me (obviously) 13MM on my 26mm 2" but I have a 2" to 1.25" adapter that I could use as well for the rest of my lenses.

Astronomica will be a badged run-of-the-mill I guess.

You could look at

Antares Elite - 55.99, 52 degrees (I have the 10 - it's great!!!)

Meade Series 5000 - 75.00 14mm, 60 degree

Barlows

Celestron Ultima

Orion Shorty Plus (I have this - it's great!!!)

Meade APO Barlow

:lol:

Hmm... Some options worth thinking about there. The Antares is a 52degrees fov is that regarded as wide angle? I know it is not the widest possible but I dont know the AFOV of my current plossls. What would you say is the average AFOV of a 'cheap' plossl? 30degrees maybe? If so then this would be better than my current ones. The Meade series 5000 look quite good although they are a bit more expensive but not too much so. Do you think the Meade EP's would be better than the William Optics one?

Archived