Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First go at webcamming Saturn.

I answered an ad from a guy selling all his astronomy gear at a price too cheap to pass on. In amongst the lot was an SPC900 already setup for imaging.

It took me a while and a bit of searching to get the SPC900 running on an intel macbook with Keith's AstroImager and macam seeming to work well.

So first light with the new Mak 150 too. Saturn was stunning. I did a quick capture of about 3 mins of subs, dropped a few that drifted and was left with 666 to play with. :p Compared to standing out in a field with my DSLR clicking away at 1/20s for 3 hours... it's a no-brainer!!

The end result stacked in Lynkeos and tweaked in PS. I'll have to try those RGB filters next. :D

6734b1a53ee8d8bf4275c54c98fe2d56-d3he7ql.jpg

It was the Astro Developments x4 Imagemate. I did have some chromatic distortion that I got rid of in PS. I'll try direct into the crayford next as this was via the WO diagonal.

I also scaled the image down 10 times from about 1600 px across (ring to ring) to try and increase the sharpness without it looking overly grainey. Focusing was quite tricky even with a liveview image. I was only getting 5fps and quite a lag between focus and screen update.. probably as Keiths Astroimager was running under Rosetta.

Looking forwards to honing my skills on this. :D

Archived