Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to weigh a dob for balance?

Short of weighing all the attachments, including heaviest EP; Telrad; dewshield; focuser...is there an easier method?

I have thought of using a bungee cord or attaching a spring? Is this a good idea, as opposed to using a magnet and counterweight?

Hi

I use those magnetic kitchen knife racks on my Dobs that way I can place a weight disc anywhere to achieve balance without weighing anything.

Just place the disc on the magnetic strip then slide it along until balance is achieved. Job done.

I used to use bungees but found that they weren't quite as fine tunable.

Regards Steve

Hardware stores,home remodeling centers and online stores like Harbor Freight and Nothern Tool also sell magnetic tool organizers for holding hand tools,similar to the knife rack designs.Check these type of stores if you can't find what you want under knife racks.

That sounds brilliant! Simple, inexpensive, and infinitely adjustable.

I must admit, my balancing solution isn't nearly as elegant - I'm going to switch over!

Dan

Hi

I use those magnetic kitchen knife racks on my Dobs that way I can place a weight disc anywhere to achieve balance without weighing anything.

Just place the disc on the magnetic strip then slide it along until balance is achieved. Job done.

I used to use bungees but found that they weren't quite as fine tunable.

Regards Steve

I think Tesco sell those small luggage weighing scales. You hook them onto the handle of the bag and lift and they scales weighs the bag. Thats what I used. Load up the OTA with all the stuff you would normall have on it including your heaviest EP and them hook the scales onto the bottom of the lower endring of your scope OTA. Let go of the OTA and the scope should pull up on the scales giving you an indication of how much counterweight to use.

Remember, the counterweight is most efficient as low down the OTA as possible and mounted on the opposite side of the OTA to the Finder,Focuser etc where most of the weight up top is concentrated. Doing this means the scope will balance from Horizon to Zenith. Mounting on top side of the OTA will mean COG issues will prevent balance at certain altitudes.

Mounting on top side of the OTA will mean COG issues will prevent balance at certain altitudes.

I didn't know this and it explains some of the occasional balance issues had with my (usually OK) system.

this system was easy and works well with the friction brake. the problem with this dob is the tiny bearings which make the friction levels too low.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/115026-ongoing-mods-my-orion-optics-uk-6-f11-planetary-dobsonian.html

Archived