NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gina's Observatory

Gina

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the principle you're describing but, with this design, wouldn't water collect in the "V" of the top roof section?

In this sketch yes. This is not a fully worked out construction sketch. In reality you would, if you have this detail, have a fillet which the felt would run along. This would allow the water to drain off.

In any event Gina's sketch shows it flush therefore there is no issue :)

I have cancelled my order with Wickes - the saving in cost is just not worth the hassle!

Email to Wickes quoting their email confirming the order :-

Please cancel my order below. Having phoned Customer Services, Taunton and Exeter branches, I have been unable to trace any information on delivery of this order. Having ordered many items from you before I am very disappointed.

Thank you.

Perhaps you could use a garage door seal,the type used between the lower door edge and concrete floor, should be flexible,weather and waterproof enough to suit your purposes also plenty long enough.

Good idea from Domis, plenty of suppliers; B&Q, Wickes etc.

I think that's a rude word in Gina's books.. :)

I had no issues... received a call on my mobile the day before confirming an AM or PM delivery

I think that's a rude word in Gina's books.. :)

I had no issues... received a call on my mobile the day before confirming an AM or PM delivery

Yes, it is at the moment. It's been one of those days :icon_eek: Having cancelled the order, Taunton rang up this afternoon saying they would deliver next Tuesday. So I had to tell them I'd already cancelled the order.

If they ring up the day before delivery that's OK. Last time they rang on the delivery day. I found this morning that I had miscalculated the feed for our goat kids so had to go to town today to get more. That meant I needed to know if Wickes were delivering today. On top of that I have a painful back from overdoing things!

In town to get the feed, the day didn't get any better but I won't bore everyone with that!

The wet weather has meant no progress on site for a couple of days and the forecast is no better :) Been sorting out timber requirements though. Should be able to get that ordered next week.

The heavy rain has eased off now and I've just been out to check the livestock and also my obsy site. A collection of tiny ponds with a bigger one where the pier is going!! :) More rain is forecast for Wednesday and Thursday :)

As a result of sorting out the timber I have a sketch of a cross-section through the middle of the building. This shows detail of the roof join inset.

post-25795-133877617846_thumb.png

As a result of sorting out the timber I have a sketch of a cross-section through the middle of the building. This shows detail of the roof join inset.

Don't recall seeing the fold-down secion before. Is this a new addition?

Which roof moves? At present I don't think the left hand roof will slide to the right with the left hand wall on the sketch folding down externally?
The diagram may not make it clear which parts are the fixed and which the rolling part. Here is detail of the flap and RO roof with the rolling parts in green and the flap in blue.

post-25795-133877617906_thumb.png

That seal arrangement looks good Gina, you might want to run the warm-room felt up the vertical part.

Tony.

Thanks :) In fact I was proposing to run it up and over the top as this diagram shows. But it may be sufficient to take it just up to the rib the seal is on.

BTW I'm going to try the Omega section seal as having the greatest tolerance of this type. Tesa Draught Excluder Omega Profile, White, 6 m: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

post-25795-133877617952_thumb.png

Don't recall seeing the fold-down secion before. Is this a new addition?
Yes, this has always been in my plan though probably not evident in the plans I've posted so far. When folded down the wall height is the same as the sides. It can't be part of the rolling part as it would foul the scope when rolling off. It's all a part of the theme of having the whole top section rolling off rather than just the roof. With thanks to Darren for the original idea :)http://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/diy-observatories/59033d1305640885-anyone-got-nesting-observatory-roof-design-observatory.pdf

Thanks :) In fact I was proposing to run it up and over the top as this diagram shows. But it may be sufficient to take it just up to the rib the seal is on.

BTW I'm going to try the Omega section seal as having the greatest tolerance of this type. Tesa Draught Excluder Omega Profile, White, 6 m: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

How do you intend to attach the seal strip? As standard, it sticks via an adhesive peel-off strip, which I reckon won't last beyond the first soaking! I doubt you could attach this to felt as shown on your sketch.

How do you intend to attach the seal strip? As standard, it sticks via an adhesive peel-off strip, which I reckon won't last beyond the first soaking! I doubt you could attach this to felt as shown on your sketch.
On second thoughts, I think I'll take the felt just up to the rib the sealing strip is on or maybe underneath the rib. I might use a waterproof glue or even tack the sealing strip on. OTOH I doubt water would get that far up the side, particularly if there was an air seal.

post-25795-133877618099_thumb.png

Thats better, I was going to suggest that you may find it difficult to lap the felt as your first sketch and it would be better to amend it as you have just drawn.

Out of curiosity what is the distance the felt laps up to from the roof up to the weather strip?

That sounds better Gina.

The other small concern I would have is the risk of the vertical red bar working loose with time. The sealing strip looks to be quite high above the point where the vertical support bar is attached to the top of the wall. If there's a chance your obsy roof will move too far to the left, the force acting on the seal rib will have a high torque acting on the vertical suppport, which will either break the relatively thin vertical support or weaken the attachment point to the WR wall. I'd suggest the solution is to beef up the vertical support and ensure the means of attachment to the warm roof wall are over-engineered. Otherwise, looks good.

Just my 2p worth !

Out of curiosity what is the distance the felt laps up to from the roof up to the weather strip?
ATM it's looking like about 2" but that seems a bit low - I think I'll increase it to 3".
That sounds better Gina.

The other small concern I would have is the risk of the vertical red bar working loose with time. The sealing strip looks to be quite high above the point where the vertical support bar is attached to the top of the wall. If there's a chance your obsy roof will move too far to the left, the force acting on the seal rib will have a high torque acting on the vertical suppport, which will either break the relatively thin vertical support or weaken the attachment point to the WR wall. I'd suggest the solution is to beef up the vertical support and ensure the means of attachment to the warm roof wall are over-engineered. Otherwise, looks good.

Just my 2p worth !

Ah yes, thank you for that :) I see your point. Current design is 4"x1" but it might be better to make that 4x2 and make it part of the dividing wall frame. Yes, I'll do that. I can see now that it takes the full stopping force of the roll off part. Thank you again.

Archived