Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guttering and rain-proofing.

Macavity

A load of "miscellaneous items" just arrived (speedily!) from:

Guttering - PolyPipe 76mm Mini Fit (They have a fuller stock, than e.g. B&Q?)

I noticed the paving under my Obsy gets well soaked, either SIDE of the pitched roof. Initially, there was some water-flow under the treated base too?

Not sure quite HOW to connect moving (RoRo) guttering with a fixed standpipe, but perhaps I'll think of something... :D

Mine has the guttering on the fixed wall (downpipes etc attached) which is placed so that, when closed, the roof aligns with the gutter.

Alternativly put the gutter on the moving roof and leave the downpipe off. Use a "thingy" (can't remember what they are called - see pic, its the white "collector" piece) under the "hole" with a downpipe attached.

post-17157-133877601803_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ideas, Bizibilder! Looks like a second iteration and the odd extra (mix & match) bits may be needed. Aside: 'Strewth these rubber SEALS are tight. Bought the can of spray silicone "release agent" too. Hopefully, that will help a bit... :p

P.S. Yes it does! :D

For my ROR obs I used a stopend outlet to feed onto the warmroom guttering.
Nice one. I did vaguely wonder... And, on seeing such a thing in practice! Cheers. :eek:

Smaller guttering doesn't always feature "hopper heads" and I was looking for a neat,

compact idea, without sundry pipe reducers (spigots, apparently!) etc. ;)

Under the heading of rain-proofing, I still struggle with the inward opening door. Often, there is an small (annoying!) ingress of water UNDER it. A known "feature" of the (otherwise splendid) Alexander's Observatories. For the moment, I working with an, arbitrary-choice, "Stormguard" product:

STORMGUARD - THRESHOLD SILLS - PART M COMPLIANT - INWARD OPENING DOORS

Bit fiddly and needs "tuning" (precise product selection?) is my initial experience! ;)

Owing to the WIDER (than the shed!) paved area, water still flows under the wooden base members too. My design error. <sigh> Am investigating the possibilities of "Flashing Tape"(?) sealing. As ever, shared experience, and inspirational ideas welcomed! :eek:

a good flashing product most builder's use for sealing is a product called flashband.it's best qaulity is that it bond's to most surfaces and come's in various width's an length's.i've used it many time's over the year's and can highly recommend it we tend to use it for the replacement of lead which customer's find too expensive to replace.also with it being tarred on the back you can warm it up to give it better grip to whatever you are attatching it too.

a good flashing product most builder's use for sealing is a product called flashband.
Thanks very much, Coxy. With a myriad of products (even when you know the generic term) real world advice is very helpful. :eek:

Ideally (underlying) shed bases are smaller than the walls, but... ;)

We use flashband to seal shed roofs. Quite malleable, you can rub it into odd shapes (which you get with corrugated iron roofs).

Can you wait? <drumroll>:

Flashband.jpg

Actually, I WAS pleased with Flashband. Dead easy to apply - Surprisingly little (i.e. no!) mess etc.

Wish the old knees / back didn't ache so today but, can't have everything... :p

I found my late Dad's old wooden wall-paper-join roller useful to smooth out the odd bump. :D

I can match that - my longest was 4m :D

I get most of my supplies from Wickes. I usually save up the items so smaller "Next Day" delivery exceeds their free delivery value of £45. I'm currently adding all the bulky items I want for my obsy so that I can get it all in one "big and Bulky" delivery at £30 for here (cheaper if you live nearer a Wickes depot).

Yes, Bizibilder - It seems to stick VERY well to both flags AND the (roughish surface) "Tanalised" base timbers. Even where the stuff is bent over the top of the timbers, it's still sticking too... :p

As a minor point of order, a neighbour wondered if, now the base is "hermetically sealed", I need to make some air holes. As in "air bricks" (grills etc.) under houses. Undecided, as yet...

:D

Archived