Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4 planets in the morning

Rottweiler

If you are out of bed at 5am you can see Jupiter, Venus, Mercury and Mars right next to each other for a brief moment before the Sun washes them out. Awesome sight. I doubt its worth putting the scope on them, they are very low.

I really did want to see this site but to be frank I'm just too lazy to get up that time in the morning unless I've **** the bed. I remember watching a program saying the planets will at some point all line up. Is this it? I understand they are not in a line but line of sight and all that. Some predicted the end of the world when this phenomenon was to happen :D

Has anyone known all the planets to be up in the night sky or is this just not possible?

I really did want to see this site but to be frank I'm just too lazy to get up that time in the morning unless I've **** the bed.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way LOL! I dont mind staying up until the wee hours of the morning stargazing but I just cant seem to get motivated to wake up early no matter what the sights might be. Terrible isnt it :D

I had a try this morning as we have a good view east from the bedroom but alas could only spot Venus at first. The sky was already quite bright at 5am and i needed the binos to spot Jupiter. And even with the binos i couldn't nail either Mars or Mercury. We have a few more clear mornings (plus a dark sky trip Sunday morning) this week according to forecast, so will try again. Perhaps slightly earlier time may help, although the planets will then be scrapping the horizon.

Good luck to those trying this, hope you have more luck than me.

I wondered if someone had tried imaging them here - I guess its not worth the bother. BTW, when will these actually be visible in the evening again, specifically Mars, anyone?

Mars will move into the evening sky by end of January 2012. But will be a good morning object towards the end of 2011. Although it will be tiny this time round, even at opposition in 2012.

Jupiter will move into the evening sky during the autumn (mid Sept on) of 2011. Jupiter should be an amazing site this year. It will rise to a really good altitude, hopefully lifting it out of the murky conditions. On good nights the detail should be jaw dropping, certainly better than we have it for many years.

Mars will move into the evening sky by end of January 2012. But will be a good morning object towards the end of 2011. Although it will be tiny this time round, even at opposition in 2012.

Jupiter will move into the evening sky during the autumn (mid Sept on) of 2011. Jupiter should be an amazing site this year. It will rise to a really good altitude, hopefully lifting it out of the murky conditions. On good nights the detail should be jaw dropping, certainly better than we have it for many years.

Thanks Russ. Ive just been looking at last years imaging forum for images of Mars. Seems I got back into astronomy a few months too late to see Mars! But the new things Im seeing all the time make up for that.

Archived