NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skymax 127 as a guidescope?

I am thinking of changing my setup in order to concentrate on imaging the planets and the moon.

At the moment I have am Explorer 200p which I use to image DSO's and also the moon and I guide via a C80ed.

My questions is if I trade in the C80ed for the Skymax 127 would it be suitable as a guidescope. Whilst I like the C80ED and realise it is ideal to image DSO's I only really use it t guide and find it ok on the moon etc but I think I can get better results on the planets etc with the 127?

My scopes are mounted side by side on my HEQ5 Synscan which I control via a PC in the garage. My guiding is accurate and I can manage 10 minute subs on the Explorer 200p without any real issues.

I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I tried using a Skymax 90 as a guidescope, and the long focal length made guiding a nightmare. Basically, the high magnificatoin resulted in the guiding being oversensitive and agressive, and it just wouldn't guide properly. It was also difficult to find a guide star with such a long FL. I got rid of it and now use the ST80, which most folk use, and it works fine.

The 127 would make a poor guidescope.

Focal length is 1,540mm and it's f/12:

1. Slow

2. Small field of view (will require very accurate alignment)

3. Heavy

It would be better to sell it and purchase an ST80 instead.

Best,

Mike

For lunar and planetary, the 200p would be great with a good barlow (get to F20 if possible for most web-cams). It would beat the 127 by quite a margin. The performance of the 200p would be similar to my C8, and that is much better than the 127 (which is brilliant for its size). I agree with others that the C80 is way better as a guide scope.

Shame.

I thought as the Skymax 127 was f12 then it would be far easier to get to f20 (for example), it requires a 4x barlow on the 200p.

Plus, I only use the C80 as a guidescope so quite a waste of a decent scope really.

For planetary photography, aperture is king (apart from correction issues). Get a good 4x barlow on the 200p and it will do a great job! Its inherent coma is not an issue when looking at the narrow field used for planets. You could sell the C80 and get an ST80 instead, if you like, but you can still use the C80 for wider DSOs if liked.

Yes definately a very versatile scope the 127

I have used a 127 F12 mak for a guidescope for 4 or 5 years with no problems. Coupled with a Mintron camera as guide cam this has made an accurate guiding set up. Plenty of guidestars, no mirror slop and pinpoint stars. It even works with a QHY5.

The only draw back is the weight its a bit of a lump compared to an ST80 and that is the only reason I have recently changed to an ST80.

Lots of folk will tell you they wont be any good for various reasons but practical experience has shown that they work and work well

Philj

When used as a guidescope I had it kitted out with home made rings and it was used soley for guiding so I forgot just how good the images were through it.

Ive now fitted bog standard rings and a dovetail and have been viewing lunar and saturn with it and Im starting to love this scope over again.

Philj

Just take a look on the planetary imaging section at some of the images folks have been getting with these scopes fro a demo of the image quality.

OK they will not have the same res as a C8 or 9.25 but they are a fraction of the cost and bulk too.

Philj

Archived