NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera advice please.

alowen

Afternoon all, i'm a total novice to the camera world. I've owned 2 compact digi ones each costing around £50. My dad has a Nikon D60 which is an amazing piece of kit (well, to me anyway).

My question is, what would a good starter DSLR be for general use and hopefully astro photography ? I understand that DSLR's aren't cheap new and i dont like the idea of webcaming.

Any advice on makes and acceptable 2nd hand prices would be groovy.

Thanks

Al

For DSLR's most folk go with Canon. The 1000D is the favourite for starters but is now out of production (!!). The replacement is the 1100D - try searching the forum for that as it is so new there is little info on it yet but the spec looks as if it will be as good for astro as the 1000D was.

Use "Camera Price Buster" to see who is selling cheapest for new.

You would only use a webcam for imaging planets because they are much more suited to that job than dslr's, wich are better suited to deep sky long exposure photography.

For combined regular photography and astro potography the 1000D is hard to beat and will make for a good bargain second hand. For astro only - the older model 350D (modified for astro work) is also a useful route to explore. :D

I own a Canon EOS-400D with the bog standard kit lenses and until I get a scope, I'm limited to widefield imagery. If you do it right, the results are worth it. The trouble with kit lenses is the lack of a manual focusing ring, having to rely on the AF to lock onto a bright star before locking it on MF is a bit tedious, particularly when you're wide open at 18mm.

Like I say though, some good results could be had if you manage to pull it off. Some of my better efforts we're taken using this kit..

dipperm.jpg

arcturus.jpg

iss200411.jpg

leose.jpg

Get a DSLR and give it a go.! Like others before me have mentioned, have a look around for the best bargain.

have you considered getting a digiscope camera adaptor to do afocal with your currant camera

I have one if those and posted some pics on here last year. I want to go down the whole DSLR route now.

AL

Archived