Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Pro SynScan vs HEQ5 SynTrek Pros and Cons

For what its worth if you live any further North than 62 degrees don't bother with the HEQ5.

I live at 60 degree's North pretty much and I'm almost maxed out on my mount, I have a couple of mm between the polar scope cap and the altitude bolt. :D

The degree scale going upto 90 on the side of the mount is just wishful thinking. Major design error in my opinion.

I hope the HEQ6 is better.

Clear skies!

Mark

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're not going to be far off me, Gina -- a shade over 51 degrees north.

James

No, not far at all - I know Wiveliscombe not far from here. We're quite close to the Devon/Somerset border. Latitude N 50° 52'

Just been out and checked the latitude range on my NEQ6 Pro mount. Absolute maximum is 68 degrees. That's with the polarscope cap off, otherwise it catches the latitude adjust bolt. Might clear with the bolt screwed in though.

68N is quite far north - just above Iceland and 2/3rds up Alaska. Well up in north Norway. Anyone in the British Isles will be OK.

For what its worth if you live any further North than 62 degrees don't bother with the HEQ5.

I live at 60 degree's North pretty much and I'm almost maxed out on my mount, I have a couple of mm between the polar scope cap and the altitude bolt. :D

The degree scale going upto 90 on the side of the mount is just wishful thinking. Major design error in my opinion.

I hope the HEQ6 is better.

Clear skies!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I should be ok as I live in Lincolnshire, Latitude 53 degrees.

Pete

Yes were all OK in the UK, Shetland @ 62 degrees North off North Unst is pushing it for the HEQ5 though. My point being that its a pretty poor show really for a bit of kit costing £6-700 quid. Not much point taking it to Northern Norway if you decided to go on a Star Cruise of something.

The mount should be fully adjustable in my opinion, through the entire range. I wonder what mount they are using up there.

I guess the answer would be to raise the front tripod leg a bit to gain altitude or mount it on a wedge in an obsy if your out of range.

Clear Skies!

Mark

Archived