Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Colliminating my 200p

Hi everyone

Today i recieved my collimination eyepiece.

Tonight when i wanted to colliminate the scope i discovered two things.

1. The scope is very badly alligned (i think)

2. The bolts for ajusting the secondary mirror are very hard to screw with a screwdriver. I was afraid to brake the whole thing so i stopped. Now i dont know what to do. Are these bolts always so hard tightened?

post-26256-133877599667_thumb.jpg

post-26256-133877599675_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have found SW screws to be very tight. Have you tried loosening

the centre screw first, before trying the 3 collimating screws ? You will need

to hold the spider firmly, to stop it bending. Best to keep the tube horizontal,

in case you drop anything onto the main mirror. I've found that placing the

tube on a settee, with the end overhanging, works well.

Good luck, Ed.

The large central screw needs a phillips screwdriver. The three smaller screws need a hexagon wrench (Allen key) - It should have been supplied with the scope. They will be tight so be careful the first time you undo them as NGC1502 says it is easy to bend the spider.

If you take the three allen headed screws out completely (one at a time) you can file the ends flat so that they don't make "pits" on the back of the secondary holder - if they do then every time you collimate the screws will tend to "drop back" into the pits and ruin your careful work.

chances are you need an 'allen key' as mentioned....& chances are the three you got with the scope are the wrong size to fit... wickes or a similar shop will do a cheap set of varying sizes...the smaller one is a good fit... good tip from Bizi...buy a file too..

I agree with previous advice, althought your pic does show the three screws are adjusted with a flat screwdriver. loosening the central screw first will make it easier.I was directed to astrobabies for collimating and found it very useful.Good luck.

Adamski

i got a laser collimator and took about 5 mins, the laser was initially poking out the front of the scope so it must have been off

what about the primary screws though i put the smallest alan key for the locking nuts but doesnt seem like anything there to turn do i just do the 3 screws with the screwdriver?

As said in the above post's, mine where also very tight and had me sweating a bit when doing mine, i have now replaced all collimation srews, primary and secondary with "Bob's nobs", this is much better and would recomend to everyone.

Archived