Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR settings for Milkyway widefield shots

Rob

Can I get some guidance on how to shot the milkyway with my DSLR?.. I have the ability to use my motor driven GP and have either a 55mm f1.8 lens or the canon 35 f3.5 lens

just not sure on iso.. sec etc

Thanks

Rob

If we get to site earlier for the planetary alignment, we'll have a good hour or so of clear (hopefully) moonless skies and a chance for you to image the Milkyway.

• 2 months later...

lol i got some great shots with lp and the street lights are about 20 feet away from my house the odd time i do take wide field shots clip in filter sometimes of my back gardenheres a link for here on sgl these were taken a few weeks agoits easy to remove color cast from pics and most people go over the top with saturation which does not help

clear skies always pat

http://stargazerslounge.com/blogs/todd8137/815-start-my-mega-wide-field-shot.html

hi heres a link

http://stargazerslounge.com/blogs/todd8137/815-start-my-mega-wide-field-shot.html

its for here on sgl

what i do is this unguided

iso 800

30secs

28mm lense

just rember your darks and flats ect

trouble is what mightwork here for me might not for you just have a pen handy take a mix one night at diff iso`s it took me a couple a nights and as you well no the more lights you have the better the pic to date i have around 2 and a half hours at 30secs of cygnus and still going i intend to do more ,try diff times 30 secs,45,60 ect as a general rule i follow is the longer the sub ,the shorter the iso it works for me but what do i know but a good dark site will yield for beter shots

Avoid LP as much as possible, use smallest focal length available and use lowest f available. Iso 800 is not so bad (I was using it and got results as per below). Make sure focus is perfect and use as longest exposure time possible (I was using 5 minutes)

milka.jpg

milka1.jpg

Archived