iPhone Apps

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Pocket Universe and Star Walk - these are paid apps, a useful one is also scope tools which is free.

Stellarium app is free, moon globe also:

There is a lot to choose from :-))

Ray

I use SkySafari - which apart from offering all the planetarium features, can also control a GOTO scope via a wi-fi to serial adaptor. I also use an app called PolarAlign to help with polar aligment on my NEQ6.

I have Star Walk which is cheap but easy to use and great to look at. I find that Star Walk can find things by name and identify visually in the sky, but I'd like something to give me more of an idea of what I can actually see with my scope. If you could filter by luminosity of galaxies and nebulae, that would be really handy, as the few attempts I made at searching for galaxies failed because I have no hope of seeing them.

I'd really like to hear from people who have several iPhone/iPad astronomy apps to indicate which has the best features and why?

Cheers

Boz

I use Stellarium, Skyview, Moon and Planet Finder.

I think Skyview is a paid app IIRC but it uses augmented reality and your iPhone camera to map constellations etc and help you find objects which is pretty cool.

Planet finder is similar in that you can choose a planet and get guided to its position. This app is free but you can pay for add-ons.

As an aside I also have Hubblesite, Sun Viewer and Skyweek

On the iPhone I have NASA, starwalk, solarwalk, 3d sun, mars globe hd, moon globe hd, stellarium, skyview, deluxe moon, planets, THE planets, planets facts, exoplanets, sun viewer, skyorb 3d, messier list, space images, Hubble and the buzz aldrin app. Please share yours and let me know if I'm missing any good ones.

I've just got one called Spitnik! Which is free and also shows upcoming Iridium flares, the ISS AND gives you the option for an alarm for it

Just downloaded it thanks and set the alarm for tonight's ISS pass. When does the alarm go off? Is it before or as it happens?

I've got Sputnik! but I'm not that impressed by it. The timings aren't often that precise, 15-20 seconds out on some flares which is pretty useless, and the brightness of flares and ISS passes seems out by quite a lot when compared to Heavens Above. The alarms are helpful though.

I downloaded Star Chart for iPad and iPhone and it's not quite as good as Star Walk. It looks nice but the user interface isn't as good.

Plus points:

- messier objects are highlighted on the star map, something that Star Walk doesn't do (you have to search individual objects instead).

- Constellations are easier to see at a glance, because they're always shown. Star Walk highlights them as they move into middle of screen.

- Universal (iPhone and iPad) and it's cheaper than Star Walk.

I also tried that free Planets one. That's really basic, but does have a nice "at a glance" view of the sky with constellations drawn and named. Useful for a quick reference.

I'm finding a combination of Star Walk and Star Chart give me what I need, but no holy grail app yet.

Boz

I think it goes off around 10 mins before - did it work last night for you??

It's tonight I set it for :D

According the the app it's magnitude -3.4 so it should be a good one.

The NASA app gives excellent info too and even 'points' you too where too look but it doesn't give you the brightness.

Heavensabove is still the most resourceful for the ISS but as far as apps go my preference is the NASA app for the times and location and Sputnik for the brightness and the alarm.

I think it goes off around 10 mins before - did it work last night for you??

Well it worked. Good view too as it wasn't quite dark so no stars in the sky. Next door was out and oblivious to the ISS passing but Makes me wonder what people who don't know what it is have thought when they have seen it.

Archived