NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

at my pc in house live viewing scope. love it

leenewtoastro

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta say, I am heading for a combination of the two very rapidly. Re-landscaping the garden (not just for astronomy!) and am laying a power cable to a pier with imagig-from-indoors in mind; also looking to collect a pair of ? x 70 bins or a grab'n'go scope for imaging. Then I'll have the choice of using the TAL for viewing if the mood takes me, or contol it from indoors if it gets too cold. 2nd scope means viewing can be a more social experience or I can get some viewing in while the TAL taks pics...

Why choose? :)

I sit in my warm office wirelessly controlling everything in the obs. Only need to go out for alighment, close roof and flips.

Sometimes I stand outside with a bair of 10x70's

Actually thinking about a dob for casual use whilst imaging :)

What gear are you using Lee? (ie camera, comms, scope, etc). Is this on the CG5? :eek:

lets just say its complicated lol

lots of cable and some jiggery pokery :)

had to label it all.

will be simple and compact soon single cable etc all pc control:headbang:

lotcable.jpg

lotcable2.jpg

lotcable3.jpg

Holy batman's

That is a nightmare. Are all those wires running from your house to the scope outside ???

Simpler way is laptop outside, connected via electrical socket LAN plugs and control using remote desktop software from inside. (Ther are nice free ones to use or inbuilt to windows)

Or even use wireless network to control the remote laptop screen as I do.

Use stellarium and EQMod to control scopes, etc etc.

Ditch the focuser, you do it once and you may as well do it when you align each night so that is one less cable. If you do check the focusing, pop outside and do it properly. If you are properly focusing then you probably want to use a Bahnitov mask and that can't be done remotely very easily.

I can just imagine the interference from all that lot messing with your data yet alone the impending disaster if someone trips over them or they get caught on the scope mount.

But as long as you are happy :)

BTW you can pick up laptops for about £150 2nd hand off fleabay that will happily do the job.

at present I can either remote via Tight VNC or extend VGA, keyboard and mouse onto the screen next to my main PC screen, extending currently is my choice as it gives better performance

Hi Cat, thanks for the links. although i'm fully aware how to. its just getting the kit at very short notice. i'm ridiculously impulsive!

that lot was made in 4.27mins of getting a scope/mount/figuring out how to, with some wires i had under the sink as it were and the urge to have it :eek::)

btw i'm very happy :)

Hi Cat, thanks for the links. although i'm fully aware how to. its just getting the kit at very short notice. i'm ridiculously impulsive!

that lot was made in 4.27mins of getting a scope/mount/figuring out how to, with some wires i had under the sink as it were and the urge to have it :eek::)

btw i'm very happy :)

:eek::D:D

Still that has to be image of the week :o:)

My tangle of wires... It's even worse with the dew controller/strap added!

The box with the overly-bright red glowing switch (I must put a resistor in to dim it), is a homemade 12V+USB hub. The blue power connectors are Speakon connectors.

When in situ, a single power cable and USB cable go off from it to the shed where there's an Asus Eee Box, connected to the network via an Belkin 1Gbps HomePlug.

Still persuading SWMBO that I need an obsy and/or pier, but in the mean time I can just about drag it in and out the shed without having to remove any cables. I've many bruises from doing so though - amazing how many pokey bits a mount + tripod has!

post-19222-133877596079_thumb.jpg

Archived