Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

diy 200p dob base

scogyrd

Hi

Nice looking doggy you have there.

If stability is a worry, have you room to put a weight disc (say 5kg) on the base, or will the tube hit it when near vertical?

If so it might help. Obviously it would be removable so it wouldn't effect portability.

Just a thought.

Like the idea of the cut outs to keep it light.

Regards Steve

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry if this is a daft question, but does anything actually hold the tube to the base? is it just the weight of the ota that creates enough friction to hold it in place in alt?

thanks

Hi

Nice looking doggy you have there.

If stability is a worry, have you room to put a weight disc (say 5kg) on the base, or will the tube hit it when near vertical?

If so it might help. Obviously it would be removable so it wouldn't effect portability.

Just a thought.

Like the idea of the cut outs to keep it light.

Regards Steve

It would be possible to put a weight on the base but I honestly don't think the stability is a problem. I just thought it was a good idea to warn people while I thought about it.

If I get the chance I'll make a short video showing the base in action.

sorry if this is a daft question, but does anything actually hold the tube to the base? is it just the weight of the ota that creates enough friction to hold it in place in alt?

thanks

It's just gravity and holding it there, but it wouldn't be too hard to fit the friction control handles if preferred.

It's just gravity and holding it there, but it wouldn't be too hard to fit the friction control handles if preferred.

the good thing about your V design (with side retainers) is that the OTA really cannot go anywhere unless you were to lift it or kick it from underneath (like that's gonna happen).

the good thing about your V design (with side retainers) is that the OTA really cannot go anywhere unless you were to lift it or kick it from underneath (like that's gonna happen).

Plus you don't have to be as accurate when you cut the Vs, as long as they're both the same. I worked out that the holes would have to be exactly 68mm if I used circles and figured that if I cut them too big or too small the bearing wouldn't fit properly. Whereas I made the Vs 96mm so the bearing would sit half way in them but it doesn't matter what size Vs you end up with, be they 100mm or 90mm, because the bearings will find their own level and will always fit.

• 1 month later...

Archived