Suffering from boredom :-(

I would certainly subscribe to the view that it is a god idea to observe with others rather than on your own. Its a means of sharing knowledge, banter, comparing kit and eyepieces etc. The other problem I think a lot of people can slip into is getting through lists and then next list and so on. Don't get me wrong, lists are a good way of structuring your evening but I prefer to slow it a down a little by doing some reading up on what your looking at, which has the benefit of giving you some knowledge, appreciating what you're looking at, almost breathing it in allowing these lists to last longer. Sometimes structuring your evening into different observing tasks can create a bit of variety. So, start with a small list of objects that you've done some homework on, then perhaps choose a single constellation and scan within it to explore and see what you can find. Then if it's available, why not start at Cassieopea and scan down through the milky way (Cygnus like) just to enjoy the view, see what you can find. What I'm suggesting here really is to move away from a target orientated approach and break the evening up into separate themes, double star splitting (good for refractors!) which will test your locating skills, scanning the skies with no expectations (...and therefore no disappointments) will help bring some fun back into your observing. Lastly always spend a good period of time with the planets. This maybe an illusion, but the longer you stick with them the more detail they provide and the more enjoyment you will get. It takes a little bit of work and certainly time to train the eye to pick up some of these details.

I appreciate your feelings towards astro clubs. I do believe with that the internet has changed our need for them and for those clubs who don't 'do' astronomy, they are on borrowed time. Remember to check out observing groups (these will be astro clubs of the future) which are not necessarily the same as the clubs and are a fantastic resource. Don't sell your kit, plan for variety in your evening and an observation shared is a satisfaction doubled!

Clear skies

James

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it safe to look through this 'baader solar film'? :-s

Yes, as long as you; a/ don't get any finger grease on the film as this causes damage over the long term, and b/ you check for any pin-holes and damage prior to every use. It can't be stressed enough how important it is to be careful when solar viewing, for obvious reasons. But it's great because the Sun is different every day, very dynamic.

This has been an odd thought in recent months but now, you,ve got me going on solar obs and imaging. Baader film will be ordered this week - which, I bet, will be the harbinger of heavy cloud until Autumn.

Thanks for the kick Revs.

It's a problem with a smaller scope as your lists of available targets is necessarily smaller. there are several routes to keeping it fresh most of which have been mentioned. vary your telescope usage eg some days I take the webcam and concentrate on trying to get a photo and don't do anything else other days I don't take the scope at all just a camera and tripod and go for wide field. some days I just look for clusters or doubles visually, the solar film has opened up new possibilities and I try afocal, webcam and visual occasionally. Getting to a very dark site is something that does it for me. and best of all are star parties. I can only get to one a year but meeting lots of people who are enthused about observing and being social about it really does get the juices flowing again. I used to try lists, nowadays I go for making my own themes and if I can't be bothered researching targets for myself I occasionally use some of ad astra's lessons for beginners it's a bit of a treat to have some structured learning sometimes

...and have had a look at a couple of dso's.

There are lot more then couple of DSO's on the sky.:)

Find some dark place, buy LP filter, try some basic astrophotography, do some sketches.

ive not been out enough to even get a little bored, dont think i could even if i had been out everyday.

some good suggestions above

all i say is crack out the books and study up for your observations

I'll pass on one suggestion I read concerning solar viewing, before looking into the eypiece, hold a piece of paper where you eye would be and make sure there are no bright spots appearing on the paper. These would indicate holes in the film that you may not notice just looking at it.

Hopefully some of our august champions on this forum will know more and can explain in better detail. :)

I am a beginner and would like to hear any additons or corrections as well.

John

As mentioned earlier, try imaging as it opens up many new levels (and headaches...lol). You will see a lot more than you would by just observing, in fact theres so much stuff you may never get round to seeing/imaging it all! Even if you want to just observe, you can do it digitally via a laptop screen as a CCD chip is far more sensitive than the human eye.

Even so, when the weather is rubbish like it has been you start thinking "ive spent all this cash only to use it a few times of the year!", but then the next run of clear sky comes along and its all forgotten :)

Hi Richard,

just a few points...

1. I cannot agree more with the comments above that observing is something best done in a social environment and you should make a serious effort to find a local astro soc that meets your interests. Whereabouts in Cheshire are you? If you are in south Cheshire (anywhere near Nantwich), try SCAstro - they are a smallish but very keen observing group with a great dark skies site. I went to visit them a few weeks ago to talk about the Peak Star Party - they have people of many ages and were most welcoming and friendly. If you are in east Cheshire, try Macclesfield Astro Soc - a large group based in Macc but with frequent meetings near Joddrell Bank and monthly (ish) planned trips to dark sky sites around the country. Macc AS also have a wide range of interests and some very experienced imagers.

I would highly recommend either of these groups; if you are over towards Chester or Warrington I am sure there are equivalent groups but I have not visited them.

2. Imaging IS something you can do more on your own. Full setups are very expensive but there are definitely ways of starting out (e.g. using a webcam for planetary imaging) that don't cost the earth. Check with your local imaging society for advice or look on the forums here.

3. Solar viewing is something I am just getting into. Baader solar film is excellent but you MUST check the film before EVERY use. I heard one fool telling people that a pin-hole wouldn't hurt your eye (something about you not going blind by looking at the sun through a hole in a curtain!) but this is nonsense - my father-in-law is an optometrist (clinical optician) and has many horror stories of "spot-welded" retinas (and worse) from exactly this. The scary thing is you can't feel a thing...

4. Come along to Peak Star Party :)

Yes the Baader solar film is safe. I used to do it quite a lot when, like you, I lost the urge to drag the scope out of the shed at night.

I lost the bug for several years, but now I'm back. I even sold off all of my kit at one point (apart from my EP set) which was a stupid mistake. You've got lots of great suggestions above- finding a dark site and just going out with camera and tripod can be a lot of fun. It's a good way of getting to know the sky and getting a decent shot of the Milky Way or something is a real buzz.

Don't give up! (but if you do I'll give you £10 more than Brantuk for your kit).

Archived