Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan handset

I bought one about a week ago, for my HEQ5....but it just occured to me that I didn't get a lead to update it.....can anybody advice me on what lead I need to get? ...also, am I right in thinking I can use that lead to connect the handset up to something like stellarium, to control the mount that way?

Couple of questions about this, hopefully someone can help with:

When I bought a Meade LPI a few years back, it came with a lead that I was told was for auto-guiding.....it fits into the firmware update port on the synscan handset too though, so would this be ok for connecting to stellarium, instaed of a new lead?

Also, a basic question on cables for auto guiding - I assume to go camera - laptop, laptop - auto guiding port on the mount?

Couple of questions about this, hopefully someone can help with:

When I bought a Meade LPI a few years back, it came with a lead that I was told was for auto-guiding.....it fits into the firmware update port on the synscan handset too though, so would this be ok for connecting to stellarium, instaed of a new lead?

Also, a basic question on cables for auto guiding - I assume to go camera - laptop, laptop - auto guiding port on the mount?

The pin-out arrangement maybe different on the meade cable - don't try it.

For autoguiding there are two ways to connect the equipment together

1. guide camera usb- laptop usb

outwards -laptop usb - autoguide port st4 - mount st4 port.

2 If the guide camera has a built in autoguide st4 port then - camera usb - laptop usb, camera st4 port - mount st4 port.

Peter

The pin-out arrangement maybe different on the meade cable - don't try it.

For autoguiding there are two ways to connect the equipment together

1. guide camera usb- laptop usb

outwards -laptop usb - autoguide port st4 - mount st4 port.

2 If the guide camera has a built in autoguide st4 port then - camera usb - laptop usb, camera st4 port - mount st4 port.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll wait and get the right lead then, rather then risk a puff of smoke appearing from somewhere.....and play with the auto guiding in the meantime, as I know the lead is fine for that!

Cheers!

Just wanted to clarify something, with this:

"outwards -laptop usb - autoguide port st4 - mount st4 port."

Do you mean laptop usb OR auotguide port st4 - mount st4? ...because i've got what looks like an st4 port on my laptop, so i'm assuming I can go from that to the mount st4 port?

Excuse my ignorance but what is an st4 port? Unless it's another name for something else, none of my computers have one - either desktop or laptop.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an st4 port? Unless it's another name for something else, none of my computers have one - either desktop or laptop.

Ah, maybe i'm at fault here then Gina.....all I know is I have two ports on the back of my toshiba satellite laptop, one is the same size as the guide port on my heq5, the other is the same size as the contoller port on the heq5.......I assumed the smaller one was an st4 port.....but i'm shooting in the dark here and playing as I go....

Ports used for control purposes like that would be either USB or Serial. Serial ports (and Parallel/Printer) ports are no longer put on computers - both being replaced by USB. Then you get Ethernet (RJ45), display and sometimes Firewire.

Just wanted to clarify something, with this:

"outwards -laptop usb - autoguide port st4 - mount st4 port."

Do you mean laptop usb OR auotguide port st4 - mount st4? ...because i've got what looks like an st4 port on my laptop, so i'm assuming I can go from that to the mount st4 port?

The sequence from the laptop is usb to autoguider using a usb cable and then from the autoguider to the mount using a ST4 cable. An autoguider is an opto-isolated device which allows the mount's ST4 port to be connected to the laptop's usb. The autoguider is electrically isolated from the laptop to eliminate a possible source of electrical interference.

Peter

Ah, maybe i'm at fault here then Gina.....all I know is I have two ports on the back of my toshiba satellite laptop, one is the same size as the guide port on my heq5, the other is the same size as the contoller port on the heq5.......I assumed the smaller one was an st4 port.....but i'm shooting in the dark here and playing as I go....

The port that looks like the RJ45 socket on the mount and handset (the larger of the two sockets) is an ethernet connection (network) and the smaller one is a modem (internet). Neither should be connected to your mount or handset.

Peter

Right, I certainly won't be mistaking those again, or attempting to wire things the wrong way around, not sure how I forgot they were network and internet, the wife has them wired up enough when our router goes down, but forget I did :) ...thanks for clarifying!

USB on PC to USB-RS232 converter. USB-RS232 converter to RJ11 socket on base of mount handcontroller(this is the update cable that you mention). Mount handcontroller to mount RJ45 on normal way.

Guide camera like SPC900 to second PC USB.

Guide with PHD.

Install ASCOM and ASCOM Celestron mount driver.

The HEQ5 handset works as a Celestron Nexstar compatible interface.

Archived