NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ISS

mcro89

Anyone viewing the ISS tonight?

I just saw it do its first pass of the night a min ago. It was the only light in the sky apart from Arcturus.

First time i have seen it (with knowing what i was looking at).

Mcro89

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ctr + Z will show you the ISS and other satellites on stellariam:) there is also a button too press on the bottom icon bar. then you can play around with the timer and see exactly when and where the ISS will pass.

Isabelle, as Madhatter says, make sure you have the Satellite plugin active, the ISS is white and also has the name Zarya. Where the date and time is, underneath is some arrows, you can use these to put Stellarium in fast mode forwards or backwards, not too fast, and it will show you what orbit the ISS will be on, hope that helps and you get to see it.

Jim

Its the 6th icon in from the right hand side, when you move your mouse over the icon it should say "satellite hints" once you click this it will show you all satellites and thier trajectory.

I find it interesting too google the satellites and find out what there purpose , id love to spot one that doesent come up on stellariam, could only imagine who owns it or what its doing lol:)

Its a shame it dosent show orbit hight but for a free program that's understandable:) (although if your reading stellariam creators...!!)

Probably obviouse but i noticed that the satellites that move across the screen quickly are the ones you can see, the slow moving ones must be further away and much harder too spot.

Not sure about the seeing as such Madhatter, only time I see any satellites is when I am looking through the scope, mainly the finder. Very rare that I see any other than ISS just gazing skywards, and speaking of the ISS, hope to see it at about 2105 hrs here, so best get may skates on and get out there :)

Jim

honestly Jim its really supprizing. have you looked for the fast moving sats on stellariam and predicted their trajectory? i saw the first 3 fast moving satellites i saw on stellariam with the naked eye.

Archived