NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR's really are pants at planets aren't they?

RikM

So, I don't have a web cam yet but Saturn was amazing through my 5" achro. I hung my 1000D on it, blazed away a load of jpg frames and stacked them in Registax v5.1.

This is the result. Dreadful. I know people always say DSLR's are 100% useless for planets and I gave it my best...and I agree, total rubbish.

post-18573-133877566577_thumb.jpg

I'd have to disagree... I've had some surprisingly good results with a 500D stuck on the end of an F7/770mm refractor + 2x Powermate, using eos movie record. I suppose it's easier to get good results with big ol' Jupe, but it surprised me just how good it turned out.

Yes,

I suppose capturing avi's with a DSLR is pretty much the same as a webcam. Lots of frames to play with and I guess that's the point really. I nearly went for a 550D but was quite a bit more than the 1000D I actually bought.

That's a good one indeed, of a very tricky target.

Jupiter, a much easier target, but surprisingly good result, and taken from an urban location last year, 500D + 2x Powermate on FLT110 :

post-17238-13387756741_thumb.jpg

Where do I get the right codec so Registax can read the EOS_rec avi file? I get a message about can't decompress or something. I've surfed the forum a bit and get lots of hits about Virtualdub to convert to an old avi type ???? I will give that a go and see where I end up.

If you use the new version 6 of Registax (just out), it will process avi files from EOS Movie Record directly. At least, that's what it does on my Win 7 system (and I don't recall installing any exotic codecs or something)

For the older version, I used Giotto to split the avi into individual *.bmp images. I've heard of Virtualdub, too, but I never tried it.

EDIT: Have a look at this thread, too...

Good luck, W.

Where do I get the right codec so Registax can read the EOS_rec avi file? I get a message about can't decompress or something. I've surfed the forum a bit and get lots of hits about Virtualdub to convert to an old avi type ???? I will give that a go and see where I end up.

Archived