Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

tripod advice please

MartinB

I am replacing my Vixen Super Polaris with a second hand GPDX with Skysensor goto. Need a bit more weight carrying capacity.

There is no tripod included and I would like to sell on the SP with it's existing tripod. At the moment I am considering an EQ6 tripod or possibly a Berlebach tripod telescope house are selling which is fitted for an LXD55/75. I understand I would need to modify the Berlebach to take the GPDX but am not sure about the EQ6.

Can anyone advise

I know the HEQ5 is the same as a Vixen GP/DX but the EQ6 is different to the HEQ5 which means that i doubt the GPDX would fit the EQ6 ( in a roundabout way) Have you considered the HEQ5 tripod instead? It only has 1.75" legs but is taller than the EQ6 tripod (which has 2" legs). Your best possibility is the CG5 tripod which has 2" legs AND has the GP/DX fitting.

post-12885-133877326177_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gordon, that's very helpful (I was counting on you!). I am also very interested in the Berlebach uni tripods. They come with a flat top and central bolt so don't know whether I could get some sort of base plate with the projection for the alt adjusters then fit the mount on that. I think a GPDX on a Berlebach tripod would have a quality feel to it!

If you buy a Berlbach tripod new you tell them what mount head it's for and they make the hub to suit. You will never need another tripod (unless you change your mount head of course). The GPDX/SS2K is a system that will last you a lifetime, and I know you have just brought one, however have you considered an EQ6 Pro instead (devils advocate hat on)

Martin,

I have a Berlebach and it is an excellent tripod. It oozes quality and you won’t be sorry you bought it. Instead of buying from BCF, however, why don’t you buy it direct from Germany? No VAT or duty from the EC! I think you will find exactly what you are looking for on their website as they manufacture tripods with specific telescopes/mounts in mind. These wooden tripods with the optional accessory trays look fantastic and are well respected all over the world.

Stan

Thanks Stan. Had a look at the Berlebach website. Didn't see anything about specific telescopes but now you've mentioned it I could contact them. Telescope house are selling the LX55 fitted uni mounts silly cheap at the mo - £129 which is a whole lot cheaper from Berlebach direct but just a question of getting the mount to fit. I'll look into it some more. Pretty definite I want a Berleback now though.

Archived