Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lidl 30x60 Binoculars?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Bizibilder

Bizibilder

Super Giant

• Moderators
  • 14,156 posts
Only 14.99 and on sale in a few days according to their website. Not much use (?) as they are (too much magnification), but how about removing the objectives and making a couple of 60mm finder / guide scopes from the bits? Maybe a cheepy for you DIY types?
I reckon on getting a pair just for the lenses - you never know, you know!!

Edited by Bizibilder, 10 December 2010 - 08:56 PM.

Roger

A few bits and pieces that live in a green shed in the garden.

http://bizibilder.blogspot.com For Pics of Observatory and other little gems!

russ

russ

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,648 posts
Not for my area by the looks of it :D I have a silly night vision scope for £99 at my store :)

Edited by russ, 10 December 2010 - 09:46 PM.

Huge motivational problems, just can't get excited about astronomy anymore. :(

Keiran

Keiran

White Dwarf

• Moderators
  • 3,801 posts
Russ, I saw a pair of these in my one near me last week, but thought i would pass now i have my 20x50 and 15 x 70 :)

Keiran

One man and his camera.... Oh and some imagination!

lukebl

lukebl

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,867 posts
These seem to be the 10-30 zooms. Never trust zoom bins, although they might be worth a punt at that price.

Luke, Mid-Norfolk, UK
SCOPES: 12" Meade SCT, 250PDS SW Newtonian, 200P
SW Newtonian, SW ST80 / NEQ-6 Pro, Coronado PST, TAL 100RS, Skymax 90
CAMS: Starlight Xpress SXVF-H9, QHY5, IMG132e, DFK 21AU618.AS, Canon 700d

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,620 posts
I have this weeks shop leaflet and they are Zoom. From what I hear zoom are only good for terrestrial viewing as the extra glass etc makes it too much work for reasonably dull light of stars to pass through. This said at this price you can't go wrong as they would make for good spotting binoculars to see if any neighbors are putting up spot lights in the garden :)

russ

russ

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,648 posts
There's also problems with the zoom and focus on Zoom binos, they rarely work in tandom. Even the expensive models have problems. Best to avoid.

cathalferris

cathalferris

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 386 posts
If these are the same as a pair that I bought from Lidl last year, they are like looking down the carboard tube from kitchen roll. The FOV on my pair is about 30-50 degrees, and there was a mismatch between the halves - focus perfectly for both eyes at min power, and I had to refocus both with the centre wheel and with the eyepiece diopter adjust when more than halfway. They also had quite the lateral chromatic abberation as well.

Scopes: 8" f5.6 OO newt; 6" f/5 Meade; 80mm Celestron Onyx semi-apo; Coronado PST; Ikharos 70mm Bins: 10*50; 15*70; 20*80
EPs: Meade 8.8|18|24 UWA, 16|24|34 SWA; Hyperion 8-24 zoom and 2.25x Barlow; TV 2x Barlow; WO binoviewers w/20mm WA; various Plossls; all in a Stanley toolbox/step!
Mounts: Hypertuned LXD-75; SW AZ-3; ETX/Manfrotto; binos/camera tripod.Camera: Canon eos600d; 35mm f2; 50mm f/1.8 and 18-55 kit lenses; SCB4000
Wishlist!: Sumerian Optics 12" + lightweight EQ platform or 12" Skywatcher Goto Dob. 35mm f/2 Canon lens; Vixen Polarie
Oh for steady cloud-free skies and the time to view them..

cathalferris

cathalferris

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 386 posts

I have a silly night vision scope for £99 at my store :)

YouTube - Bresser Digital Nightvision Scope - View of the Night sky

It's a recording of the sky using one of those "nightvision" monoculars.
It looks as though it can go down to about 8.7 to 9.0 magnitude, for the 50mm lens on it. I wonder what an EE could do with it for exposure time or cooling, it may be cheaper to go with a MallinCam?

Still ,for the price it looks as though the quality isn't that bad especially if one was planning on stacking the frames from it.

Scopes: 8" f5.6 OO newt; 6" f/5 Meade; 80mm Celestron Onyx semi-apo; Coronado PST; Ikharos 70mm Bins: 10*50; 15*70; 20*80
EPs: Meade 8.8|18|24 UWA, 16|24|34 SWA; Hyperion 8-24 zoom and 2.25x Barlow; TV 2x Barlow; WO binoviewers w/20mm WA; various Plossls; all in a Stanley toolbox/step!
Mounts: Hypertuned LXD-75; SW AZ-3; ETX/Manfrotto; binos/camera tripod.Camera: Canon eos600d; 35mm f2; 50mm f/1.8 and 18-55 kit lenses; SCB4000
Wishlist!: Sumerian Optics 12" + lightweight EQ platform or 12" Skywatcher Goto Dob. 35mm f/2 Canon lens; Vixen Polarie

lukebl

lukebl

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,867 posts
I've always thought those night vision scopes are somewhat suspect. Obviously people claim they're for watching nocturnal wildlife, or burglars. But I have a nagging suspicion that they're used for more suspect purposes.

Edited by lukebl, 13 December 2010 - 12:09 PM.

Luke, Mid-Norfolk, UK

cathalferris

cathalferris

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 386 posts
After seeing that youtube clip, I'm tempted to get one for disassembly and either putting a 1.25" nosepiece on it and attaching to my 8" Newt, or swapping the objective for a nice wide open camera lens, and aiming for live mag 10 stars..

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,620 posts
I had both GEN 2 night vision rifle scope and monocular and you have to be very careful using them. The sensors blow if too much light enters so they have a pin hole in the lens cap for using during the day or full moon nights. Even then the slightest error and kiss your money good bye. Both my NV equipment bust. Thankfully the £680 rifle scope was fixed under warranty but the £150 monocular was a loss. In the end someone gave me £35 for spares & repairs. I had my scope & monocular way back when NV first became available to Joe public. Back then and still now the better GEN1 NV equipment costs the thousands of pounds so I doubt some thing being sold in Lidle will be anything more than a GEN2 design and so still susceptible to chips being fried by bright light.

If anyone decides to try one of the NV's in Lidle I would be interested to hear how you get on, but make sure if you try playing with it during the day you drop a bit of tape around the lens cap just to make sure or you could end up wasting £99

Managed to find a pic of my old BSA super 10 with the Soviet bazaar GEN2 NV scope.

Edited by spaceboy, 14 December 2010 - 02:27 PM.

lukebl

lukebl

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,867 posts
Just popped up to my local LIDL and had a look at these 10-30 x 60 bins.

Posted Image

The pair I looked through were really terrible, but what do you expect for £15. Anyway, there's still a huge pile of them at Attleborough LIDL, Norfolk, if anyone wants to risk a pair as a stocking-filler!

Luke, Mid-Norfolk, UK

russ

russ

Bright Giant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,648 posts

I had both GEN 2 night vision rifle scope and monocular and you have to be very careful using them. The sensors blow if too much light enters so they have a pin hole in the lens cap for using during the day or full moon nights. Even then the slightest error and kiss your money good bye. Both my NV equipment bust. Thankfully the £680 rifle scope was fixed under warranty but the £150 monocular was a loss. In the end someone gave me £35 for spares & repairs. I had my scope & monocular way back when NV first became available to Joe public. Back then and still now the better GEN1 NV equipment costs the thousands of pounds so I doubt some thing being sold in Lidle will be anything more than a GEN2 design and so still susceptible to chips being fried by bright light.

If anyone decides to try one of the NV's in Lidle I would be interested to hear how you get on, but make sure if you try playing with it during the day you drop a bit of tape around the lens cap just to make sure or you could end up wasting £99

Managed to find a pic of my old BSA super 10 with the Soviet bazaar GEN2 NV scope.
Attached Thumbnails Posted Image

Crikey, i imagine if you were seen out in public with that gun, you would start a minor crisis. :)

Edited by russ, 16 December 2010 - 09:06 AM.

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,620 posts
Would have be great for getting rid of any annoying neighbors lights. Irony is I had to sell all my firearms to buy my eyepieces. Maybe I should have took out the lights first.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users