Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lidl 30x60 Binoculars?

Bizibilder

Only 14.99 and on sale in a few days according to their website. Not much use (?) as they are (too much magnification), but how about removing the objectives and making a couple of 60mm finder / guide scopes from the bits? Maybe a cheepy for you DIY types?

I reckon on getting a pair just for the lenses - you never know, you know!!

I have this weeks shop leaflet and they are Zoom. From what I hear zoom are only good for terrestrial viewing as the extra glass etc makes it too much work for reasonably dull light of stars to pass through. This said at this price you can't go wrong as they would make for good spotting binoculars to see if any neighbors are putting up spot lights in the garden :)

If these are the same as a pair that I bought from Lidl last year, they are like looking down the carboard tube from kitchen roll. The FOV on my pair is about 30-50 degrees, and there was a mismatch between the halves - focus perfectly for both eyes at min power, and I had to refocus both with the centre wheel and with the eyepiece diopter adjust when more than halfway. They also had quite the lateral chromatic abberation as well.

I have a silly night vision scope for £99 at my store :)

It's a recording of the sky using one of those "nightvision" monoculars.

It looks as though it can go down to about 8.7 to 9.0 magnitude, for the 50mm lens on it. I wonder what an EE could do with it for exposure time or cooling, it may be cheaper to go with a MallinCam?

Still ,for the price it looks as though the quality isn't that bad especially if one was planning on stacking the frames from it.

I've always thought those night vision scopes are somewhat suspect. Obviously people claim they're for watching nocturnal wildlife, or burglars. But I have a nagging suspicion that they're used for more suspect purposes.

I had both GEN 2 night vision rifle scope and monocular and you have to be very careful using them. The sensors blow if too much light enters so they have a pin hole in the lens cap for using during the day or full moon nights. Even then the slightest error and kiss your money good bye. Both my NV equipment bust. Thankfully the £680 rifle scope was fixed under warranty but the £150 monocular was a loss. In the end someone gave me £35 for spares & repairs. I had my scope & monocular way back when NV first became available to Joe public. Back then and still now the better GEN1 NV equipment costs the thousands of pounds so I doubt some thing being sold in Lidle will be anything more than a GEN2 design and so still susceptible to chips being fried by bright light.

If anyone decides to try one of the NV's in Lidle I would be interested to hear how you get on, but make sure if you try playing with it during the day you drop a bit of tape around the lens cap just to make sure or you could end up wasting £99

Managed to find a pic of my old BSA super 10 with the Soviet bazaar GEN2 NV scope.

Just popped up to my local LIDL and had a look at these 10-30 x 60 bins.

UK_53536_01_b.jpg

The pair I looked through were really terrible, but what do you expect for £15. Anyway, there's still a huge pile of them at Attleborough LIDL, Norfolk, if anyone wants to risk a pair as a stocking-filler!

I had both GEN 2 night vision rifle scope and monocular and you have to be very careful using them. The sensors blow if too much light enters so they have a pin hole in the lens cap for using during the day or full moon nights. Even then the slightest error and kiss your money good bye. Both my NV equipment bust. Thankfully the £680 rifle scope was fixed under warranty but the £150 monocular was a loss. In the end someone gave me £35 for spares & repairs. I had my scope & monocular way back when NV first became available to Joe public. Back then and still now the better GEN1 NV equipment costs the thousands of pounds so I doubt some thing being sold in Lidle will be anything more than a GEN2 design and so still susceptible to chips being fried by bright light.

If anyone decides to try one of the NV's in Lidle I would be interested to hear how you get on, but make sure if you try playing with it during the day you drop a bit of tape around the lens cap just to make sure or you could end up wasting £99

Managed to find a pic of my old BSA super 10 with the Soviet bazaar GEN2 NV scope.

Attached Thumbnails 47600d1292336567t-lidl-30x60-binoculars-bsa.jpg

Crikey, i imagine if you were seen out in public with that gun, you would start a minor crisis. :)

Archived