Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Catalina Last Night

Been waiting for the comet to rising in the evening sky and clear last night but slill lowish in the NE in the London lightdome - here's a prelim in 20s exp via my Meade 30cm @ f/3.3 = 1000mm fl showing the bright nucleus and large coma;-)

Nytecam

post-21003-0-29353600-1452852309.jpg

Nice prelim thumbnail.

I've not been able to point either of my scopes at this visitor as has been too low and/or behind my house.  Had planned to go for it last night but after it stopped raining it began to snow. Its still snowing this morning here on the east coast but the forecast for tonight is slightly better.  At least I don't have to contend with your levels of light pollution. A few nights ago I managed to get a widefield shot with my  Canon 600D on a fixed tripod with 18-55mm EOS lens.  I was pleased to capture hints of the twin tails. Have to say for an inexpensive lens it performs surprisingly well on small faint objects.   I put a copy on my Stargazers lounge blog if you are interested.

Lets hope for clearer skies in the near future. Thanks for sharing your image.

best regards George

Thanks Hawksmoor - better luck soon ;-)

Here's a w/a 10s shot via my e-finder - the red filter over lens exagerates red stars - as marked !  Pesky cloud [in corner !] troublesome across fov all evening ;-)

in the main scope live-view the comet could be seen moving NW in the 30s between exposures  ;-0 

Nytecam

post-21003-0-27308900-1452855913.jpg

Great work, nytecam! I was out there last "nyte" from about midnight to three observing the little visitor from three different telescopes. Clouds rolled in soon thereafter, but I had a great observing window  :headbang:

Peace and stellar grease!

Reggie

Archived