NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5 meter USB 3.0 cable that works with ASI120MM-S?

stoffe

Hello

I have a problem, I can not get my ASI120MM-S camera to work with longer cables then 3 meters. I need a 5 meter cable. Does anyone here have succesfully found a 5 meter cable that works? I have tested a few alternativs with and without a powered USB3.0 hub and with a straight throu cable and so on.

I need a 5 meter cable from the computer to my telescope to aviod a hanging air cable that would be quite dangerous in the dark and even more dangerous with pirflips.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The USB3 specification includes requirements that effectively limit the length of a plain cable to three metres as far as I recall.  With an exceptionally high quality cable you might be able to get a bit further, but getting as far as five metres sounds quite unlikely.

There are active USB3 cables that claim to be able to get to 5m or even more, but they're not cheap.  Startech produce one, but in the UK it's almost £90.  I've never tried one, so I can't vouch for its reliability.  I'm not entirely sure how they work.  I'd guess they allow the signal to drop outside the requirements of the specification and then bring it back into specification somehow before delivering it to anything that might care.

James

Actually, looking about there are some active USB3 cable extenders that are a fair bit cheaper than the Startech ones.  They might be worth a try, especially if you are able to return them if they don't do the job.

James

Hello, thanks for your answers. I have seen a 6 meter active cable at my local computer store. Maybe I buy that one for 35£.

The problem is not that I got lower frame rate, the problem is that I am losing the connecton to the camera. It is very intermittent with my 5 meter cable that I have now.

I will update this post if I found any longer cable that will work. It would be perfectly with a 5-6 meter. 6 meter would be even more preferrable for me. When I got a ASI120MM USB2.0 camera. I build my own 7 meter cable from a 2 meter and 5 meter cable that worked very good for about a year. Then I decided to upgrade to a higher framerate camera.

I will update this post if I found any longer cable that will work. It would be perfectly with a 5-6 meter. 6 meter would be even more preferrable for me. When I got a ASI120MM USB2.0 camera. I build my own 7 meter cable from a 2 meter and 5 meter cable that worked very good for about a year. Then I decided to upgrade to a higher framerate camera.

Hello Stoffe.
I use a 10 meter actively USB3 cable like this:  https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-3-0-forlaengerkabel-2/lindy-usb-3-0-booster-forlaenger-10-m.html   without problems at an ZWO ASI174 camera without problems. I do not even have and power feed this cable externally.
Bedst regards Leif.

Hello Leif, how long is your cable that you attach to the 10 meter cable? Very good if it works so well with longer distances. Good to know that Lindy active 10 meter extension cord does work.

Hello Leif, how long is your cable that you attach to the 10 meter cable? Very good if it works so well with longer distances. Good to know that Lindy active 10 meter extension cord does work.

I am using the USB3 cable, that came with the camera. It's probably around two meters.
Leif.

Small caveat - not got it to work using any kind of hub. Cable from camera plugs into the extension and that runs directly into the computer's USB port. Maybe I was using the wrong type of hub [emoji4] but direct connection with the extension cable works just fine.

I do not think the camera will work with almost any hub, I have not heard of anyone got it work.

I have found a much cheaper extension cord with USB3.0 and a connector to external power as well. Does anyone here think it will work with my camera? Any active cables that does not work with the camera?

Here is the cable that I have found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Speed-5-METERs-5Gbps-USB-3-0-Active-Extension-Cable-Mirror-LED-Indication-/231656637139?hash=item35efcfc2d3:g:M4oAAOSwHnFV0ZFJ

Hello

I have a problem, I can not get my ASI120MM-S camera to work with longer cables then 3 meters. I need a 5 meter cable. Does anyone here have succesfully found a 5 meter cable that works? I have tested a few alternativs with and without a powered USB3.0 hub and with a straight throu cable and so on.

I need a 5 meter cable from the computer to my telescope to aviod a hanging air cable that would be quite dangerous in the dark and even more dangerous with pirflips.

Hi

I've been through this and have tried various options, including a 5 metre USB 3 cable and one of these "extenders".  I could not get the 5 metre cable to work reliably at all and I sent it back.  As to the cable 'extender' - well I cannot tell you what I really thought of it because my post would be moderated out.  

Nevertheless, I have managed to get a solution to my issue - this is USB 3 powered hubs.  Indeed I have 'daisy chained' 2 hubs as follows: 3m USB 3 cable to powered hub on floor of observatory - 3m USB 3 cable running under the floor to a second USB 3 powered hub - 3m USB 3 cable running from second powered hub to warm room computer.  I don't want to jinx my set up, but so far this has proven reliable.  I am getting 60-70 fps (full frame) out of my ASI120MM-S.  You can get relatively inexpensive powered USB 3 hubs from Amazon.  

Hope this is helpful.

Steve

Hello Steve I have tried USB3.0 powered hubs but I can not even connect to my camera. It wont be detected of my computer. What chipset do you have in your hub? My USB3.0 powered hub use some sort of VIA chipset.

USBView in Windows can tell you that

or

lsusb command in Linux

maybe I will buy the ebay cable.. but it must be reliable of course.

I've had very variable results with USB3 devices and USB hubs.  Some devices seem to work happily whilst others don't even appear to succeed at the low-level USB negotiation.  This isn't restricted to cameras either.  Nor even just USB3 devices :(

James

I remember when USB 1.0 interfaces came into the market in mid/late 90s It is remarkable that USB is more like plug and pray still after 20 years but with higher speeds of course.

I would like to find a cable on ebay, I could not order that cable on amazon. It was for UK residens only and I am living in Sweden.

Thank you but I just ordered the cable from china ebay that I linked to in my previus post before I saw your post. If that ebay cable doesn't work. Maybe I try a Lindy cable. I have never seen any Lindy cables for sale in Sweden but I guess I can order them from UK if I need a cable.

Lindy are all over the place.

http://www.lindy-international.com/tpl_inhalt-htm.htm?websale8=ld0101.ld020102&tpl=tpl_inhalt.htm&include_tpl=servicepages/incl_company_profile.htm

"Established in Germany in 1932, we’ve grown from a small family business selling petroleum lamps, radios and electrical components into a multinational group of independent companies.
Our offices are located in Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Switzerland, France, the US and Australia. An international arm, based in the UK caters for our customers in Eire, Spain, Portugal, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Africa and the rest of the world."

Hope your choice works for you as never like to waste money.

Derek

Oh good point there, I live in the country side and I have no other wifi-network except my own. I can change the frequency on my wifi to get as long far away from wifi frequency as possible. Which channel should I change my wifi-network to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Hi Stoffe,

I am afraid that is a case of suck it and see. The USB3 frequency problem will vary between different makes as they all either use different shielding or none at all in the worst cases. You may be OK if you keep a good distance between the different components. You can also add your own shielding to the USB3 gear. A simple Faraday shield should accomplish good insulation to extraneous signals. A fair few manufacturers are now realizing the problem when making WiFi  hubs and other gear. They are trying to separate the USB3 electronics from the WiFi side. Something that should never have been allowed to happen anyway, very poor design.

Derek

I can do some testruns with wifi off and on and see if it makes any diffrenece. Or else I can extrashield the USB cable. Mount it separetly from the other cables to the mount and pier.

Archived