NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First real attempts with Altair GP cam

Bobby1970

Finally a clear night last night so had a go with the Altair GP cam.

Used the cam when aligning my Alt/az goto mount and decided on M31 and M57.

Took a short video of each and then used register followed by lightroom for a bit of processing.

post-20054-0-20356200-1445764874.jpg

post-20054-0-00392400-1445764901.jpg

Still not fully sure what i am doing tbh lol. The M57 seems better than the M31 to me.

Thanks for looking

Bobby,

Good start!

Continue with larger, well defined objects. For 500mm focal length, the Crescent and Dumbbell nebulas are of suitable size and still up high on the sky earlier in the evening. In  a month, there will be many good targets around Orion.

I would also consider of getting an inexpensive x0.7 or x0.5 focal reducer. Using that you would be able to use shorter exposures. It would also open up a range of additional larger targets.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

I saw a post on another forum saying that Sharpcap recognizes this camera and is able to connect to it.

Sharpcap is a very good free live stacking program. Using it you don't need to make a separate movie file and then post process it. Everything is done automatically and in real time, while you are watching the object.

Download the newest beta version of Sharpcap. It has registered stacking that compensates for the limitations of altaz mounts.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

chaps

I will attempt to upload the video clips when i am home later. These images were done with the 0.5 focal reducer that altair can supply with the camera.

When i did the videos i was sure i selected 5 minutes for the duration. And thats how long the software seemed to capture for. However when i play the clips back they are only seconds long??

Is this due the the frame rate i have selected maybe??

I am quite pleased with the M57 one. But a little dissapoiinted with the M31 one.

How can i improve the M31 effort? Longer video??

Just capture stills and stack lots of those??

I saw a post on another forum saying that Sharpcap recognizes this camera and is able to connect to it.

Sharpcap is a very good free live stacking program. Using it you don't need to make a separate movie file and then post process it. Everything is done automatically and in real time, while you are watching the object.

Download the newest beta version of Sharpcap. It has registered stacking that compensates for the limitations of altaz mounts.

Clear Skies!

--Dom

Indeed sharpcap does recognise the camera.

I tried using the live stacking feature but i sometimes get errors and have to re start the live stacking feature. I think this maybe due to the inaccuracy of my alt/az goto mount ???

I also have a star adventurer mount and may attempt to use the altair with that, but with some type of lens attached to the front of the altair cam ???

Bobby,

I don't know. But Mallincam is not known for their software. What they bundle with the camera is not likely to be very different from what the OEM provides. The owners of the Skyraider AGm seem to be overjoyed that Sharpcap recognizes their camera. Sharpcap has a very good reputation.

I suggest that you try to hook up with other users of this same camera. The Mallicam yahoo group or CluodyNights EAA forum might be good places to find them. 

Clear Skies!

--Dom

My advice is to keep going! Though a very short showing, it was enough to tell my eyes that the camera is getting very nice colour. On M57 I was surprised by this. I'll be interested to see some longer takes. Do keep playing with the settings you have available - and keep detailed notes so you can find your way back to those which worked best.

Nothing like the old: "Wow! Perfect! Finally! Now all I need to.....OOOPS!!" trick.

Best -

Dave

Archived