Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BackyardEOS

Gareth88

It might of been asked, it might not of, I've looked through forums, but unable to find one so sorry if it has!

Before I buy.. As reading some reviews it's recommended to link up my canon eos 100d to my laptop, now the questions,

Once all hooked up am I able to view the images after they have taken? Will it upload straight to the laptop through the usb? Is it similar to Sharpcap?

It's probably such a daft question but if it saves me taking out the memory card at the end of the night as my poor fingers are far to cold and I suppose I could just wait till morning but I would be to giddy to see my images of the night.

You can choose in Backyard EOS (AKA BYEOS) where the image is stored - camera only, PC and camera or just PC. I opt for PC only so I do not even need a memory card in the camera.

But the image is shown in the screen as soon as it is taken in a timeline like sequence.

Looking at the spec for your camera it has live view, and USB connectivity. 

Before you jump in with BackyardEOS, try giving APT a run http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx  Unlike Backyard EOs APT can be tried before you purchase and IMO has a better interface.  It operates on a sort of subscription base, in that once purchased you get free updates for 12 months, after which you have the option of paying a further years worth of updates, or stay at the level of functionality you are at.

APT supports live view, so with your camera attached you'll see exactly what the camera is seeing so you can frame the target.  You can then take an image between 30 seconds and the max shutter speed for your camera, or set up a plan to take x number of exposures of however long you want.  After each exposure the results are shown on the screen, and is saved to either the PC, camera or both.

Have you tried the (free) Canon software for your 100D ?

It doesn't have the features of APT or BYE, but will take sequences of timed exposures, will alter exposure and ISO, open Liveview, and download and display your images as they are completed.

So far I've not miss the APT and BYE features.

Michael

I'm going to be trying out apt, I have tried canon and it didn't feel like I was star gazing ha I was thinking using BackyardEOS but for £15 or so less I'm more inclined to apt, il test it out tonight and see how it goes with andromeda that beautiful grey smudge

Unlike Backyard EOs APT can be tried before you purchase

APT supports live view, so with your camera attached you'll see exactly what the camera is seeing so you can frame the target.  You can then take an image between 30 seconds and the max shutter speed for your camera, or set up a plan to take x number of exposures of however long you want.  After each exposure the results are shown on the screen, and is saved to either the PC, camera or both.

BackyardEOS does have a fully featured 30-day trial.

BYE also supported the feature you mention above :)

Regards,

Guylain

(the creator of BackyardEOS)

I've used both bye and apt and tbh there's not a lot in it. I ended up using apt as I found it more user friendly. others will have differing opinions :D. either way, I think you'll be happy with which ever you choose 

I've used both bye and apt and tbh there's not a lot in it. I ended up using apt as I found it more user friendly. others will have differing opinions :D. either way, I think you'll be happy with which ever you choose 

Exactly, both do fairly much the same functions, just different bells and whistles.  It's down to your own preference as to what GUI you prefer

Archived