Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New telescope advice.

Hi, I'm looking for a good telescope as an upgrade to my 8" SCT.

I have about £1300 , I'm thinking of skywatcher 12" goto dob.

Do you think this will be a good upgrade? I can get 14" non goto but I think that would be very heavy and hard to move.

BTW these are my eyepieces:

ES 14mm 100°

ES 30mm 82°

ES 8.8mm 82°

TV 17.3mm Delos

TV 4.5mm Delos

I forget to mention that I'll use it in really dark location with no light pollution.

Any thoughts pleas.

As above, do you really need goto, as this system will add to the weight of a skywatcher 12" flextube. Without it is quite manageable to handle and perhaps more importantly travel with, as like myself, Newcastle is not exactly ideal for stargazing but we are blessed with great dark sky locations within reasonable travel distance. When I had an 8 SCT I initially purchased the 12" manual flextube, a terrific scope, though some optional mods could be welcome. Additionally as said a 12" OOUK would be very nice.

I have the 300mm GoTo, is not to heavy if moved in 2 pieces the base then the scope, it keeps collimation quite well just a check it every time is set-up, the GoTo is superb set the base on a level base, do a 2 star align and it's spot on when going to other DSO's, the base fits through a standard 30" door way, there is another option a non GoTo but install a Nexus system this work with 2 encoders that give the position the scope it pointing at via a Tablet so you push the scope round and the cross hairs move on the tablet screen, its very good.

I'm with Tinker on this.  The GoTo parts on my 300P flex tube are a fraction of the total weight and positioned such that balance is not really affected.  The extremely smooth full plate bearing is to die for.

Archived