Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Storage of Scope and Eyepieces

I recently found that my Mak 127mm scope being stored in a garage closet with dessicant started growing a fungus.  The posters recommended it be kept in the house instead.  I could use some more details on how to care for it after observing sessions.  Bringing it inside causes it to fog up, if it wasn't already.  Also, how do you care for your EPs after use?  I generally cap them outside immediately after use.  Do they need to be uncapped in the house to dry out?

Thanks for any advice!

Also, dont be tempted to wipe any optics with a cloth or anything. There could be dust or anything on them and could scratch the glass. Blow them with a rocket blower and leave to dry as above.

Hi Paul,

What is a "rocket blower"?

Mark

Ok, when you two guys stop "posting"  :grin: I thought you meant one of those aerosol type air blowers.

The ones you linked to (many thanks) seem to be steroid versions of the type we used for negatives back in the day...

Cheers guys,

Mark

You are on Paddy Time Paul... :grin:

that picture had to come from the states. OOOOO errrr Missssus... :police:

Blame GMT. Local time in Dublin(and all of Ireland i think) is technically GMT-30 mins, if you want to be completely accurate.

Anyway...........

Telerat, can you post an image of the above mentioned fungus. It may not be as bad as you think. It would be interesting to see it.   

Ok, when you two guys stop "posting"  :grin: I thought you meant one of those aerosol type air blowers.

The ones you linked to (many thanks) seem to be steroid versions of the type we used for negatives back in the day...

Cheers guys,

Mark

You do not want to use an aerosol can type blower as they have compressed gas in them and can leave a horrible residue on the optics. A rocket blower uses clean fresh air. You can buy a rocket blower online for a few quid. 

I bought a full cleaning kit when my camera was new. It included: Tissues,cleaning solution,brush,rocket blower,lint free cloth. It cost me 30 euros. I found out all i really use/needed was the rocket blower...........so basically dont spent the full cost on a full kit. Just a rocket blower will see you good.

Regarding the cleaning of your Mak 127. It has a corrector plate (glass) on the front. Aside from a rocket blower................it is really worth your while picking up a bottle of Baader Wonder Fluid. It works brilliantly on cleaning pretty much any glass. A small bottle of it goes a long long way. You can find it available from FLO at the top of the page.

It really is that good. Use the blower first before using the fluid. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html

Blame GMT. Local time in Dublin(and all of Ireland i think) is technically GMT-30 mins, if you want to be completely accurate.

Anyway...........

Telerat, can you post an image of the above mentioned fungus. It may not be as bad as you think. It would be interesting to see it.   

I wish you were correct on the fungus.  Take a look (hopefully this link works).

post-45956-0-10844900-1437246856_thumb.j

That doesnt look too good. How old is the scope?. Can you return it for a new one?.

Not quite 3 years old, but out of warranty.

Thanks for all posters advice!  :smiley:  I'm a little puzzled about the EPs.  It seems odd to have nice cushy cases to store them, but to keep them in a pocket while using.  Afraid I'll end up banging them against the tripod after tripping on it.  But I can't seem to keep them dry, so I'll give it a try.

Not quite 3 years old, but out of warranty.

Thanks for all posters advice!  :smiley:  I'm a little puzzled about the EPs.  It seems odd to have nice cushy cases to store them, but to keep them in a pocket while using.  Afraid I'll end up banging them against the tripod after tripping on it.  But I can't seem to keep them dry, so I'll give it a try.

A pocket in a jacket/coat is about the best and easiest place for them. Leave the caps on until you use them.

I got a Rocket!  I noticed one Day that the red tip was pushed in slightly?  Not sure if that's the right way to store it, but I push the tip right inside the puffer, and pull it out when needed.  A powerful tool, Works great on my Nikon!

Archived