SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cheapest Obsy here?

Dom1961

What is the cheapest Obst you have built? I'm only 14 and might ask my parents (long shot) if I could have a joint birthday Christmas present of a shed and then I could make it into a roll off, also is it possible to use a dob in one? Or do you need a eq

It seems like a good idea to have a proper "observatory" - have you considered the "take out" rather than a "roll off" version?  Simply put you have your own shed in which you keep your scope and then, when you want to use it you can simply take the scope out and place it in your normal observing position and use it.  The scope will be cooled and ready to use and with a carefully positioned shed (maybe to the north of your observation point) you will have some shelter for yourself and your  accessories etc during an observing session.

Building or modifying a shed can be both tricky and can get quite expensive - the total bill running into a few hundred pounds as a minimum - by the time you have built a base, bought the shed and timber and fittings to convert it.

If you find the Scope heavy to move you could spend some money (or make) a wheeled trolley to make moving the scope about much easier.

The obsy is there so you do not have to set up or cool down as in the above post. How you use it is up to you, does not matter what sort of scope you have so long as it makes life easier to observe / image etc. Its usually more comfortable too as you are protected a wee bit from the elements. With a dob it is a little more difficult to observe closer to the horizon if you have walls.

I think the shed to store it is probably the best option. The reason I wanted one is because my sessions are limited due to my mum having to help me bring the stuff in before she goes to bed. She's worried that I'll make too much noise banging stuff on doors etc.

Leaving your scope in ashed will be fine (as long as the shed is reasonably secure)  The biggest problem will probably be spiders but these can be kept at bay by covering your scope with an old cotton sheet (not a plastic bag!  The cover needs to "breathe").  This will also keep the dust and grit off.

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to survive a 3 years with the solution in http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207605-telescope-shelter/page-2. Only when I know the weather is going to get bad do it take the equipment inside and bolt down the front.

It's cheap @ < £200 .

How bad does the weather have to be before you decide to retreat? - This could be perfect for me!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-BIKE-COVER-SHED-MOPED-STORAGE-GARAGE-BARN-MOTORCYCLE-SCOOTER-SPORTS-/311319632657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item487c189b11 

Depends on the wind, I guess. Too windy and you don't want the bike shed to leave your garden and damage something of your neighbors. You don't want it to damage your equipment either. So, bolt it down as per instructions and make sure the front and back are secure with sand bags or similar.

Another thing to note is that you have to make sure there is plenty of air circulating inside or you will be dealing with a serious condensation issue. Nothing that cannot be sorted out with a good semi-industrial air fan. 

Archived