Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Modified camera settings

groberts

After coming to the conclusion late last year that I was missing something, I have just bought a good, second hand modded Canon 550D.  I already have a 700D, which I was erring towards modding when this came up, so I am well pleased to have both + the 700D still intact.

I have only had one chance to use the 550D so far but, as a result, I am wondering what sort of adjustments might be necessary when shooting with a modded camera, if any; I also use a CLS LP filter in both.  The two images below are quite similar but taken with the 700D and 550D - not surprisingly there's noticeably more red in the modded image but the centre has also blown out a little, I presume due to its now greater sensitivity.  Of course the obvious answer is to just experiment but I wondered if there was any given wisdom on the matter e.g. lower ISO, shorter exposure etc?

post-34728-0-18162300-1421859942_thumb.j

M42 etc with unmodded Canon 700D

post-34728-0-25182200-1421859959_thumb.j

Same picture using modded Canon 550D

As far as the m42 goes i think that people make a composite image to stop the centre being blown out, ie take images at say 10 4mins and same images at 10 2min then stack the images seperately  then add the lesser exposures on top of the higher ones so the centre dosen't look blown out if you look on u tube there are videos on the subject and a lot of them are the M42 hope this helps

I have used a 600D and a modded 60D and find them to be remarkably similar except for the greater sensitivity to Ha in the latter. So I didn't change my parameters. What I did find is that for some reason focussing was much more difficult with the modded camera but still achievable. Fortunately both have live view and a flip out screen.

Interesting point here.  Assume settings and any processing are exactly the same for both images?  (incidentally what settings where they shot with?).  I don't have any answers for you by the way but have been reading about modding but in my case it would be an older cheaper DSLR if I were to mod (not going to pull apart my 6D just yet as I need it for normal photography!).  So my comparison/choice is an unmodded 6D (full frame, decent noise, etc.) vs a modded older camera.

Interesting point here.  Assume settings and any processing are exactly the same for both images?  (incidentally what settings where they shot with?).  I don't have any answers for you by the way but have been reading about modding but in my case it would be an older cheaper DSLR if I were to mod (not going to pull apart my 6D just yet as I need it for normal photography!).  So my comparison/choice is an unmodded 6D (full frame, decent noise, etc.) vs a modded older camera.

120 seconds at ISO 1600

Archived