SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ripstop Nylon Truss Scope Cover

marcopolo

It's been a while since I picked up my old telescope making books to rebuild my scopes. My 8.75in suffered badly from observer heat so i'm going to put a cover or shroud around the truss as reccomended in Berry/Kriege telescope building book.

I've looked around and found some ripstop nylon but it doesn't appear to be like the stuff you get in the US that Kriege/Berry use.

So can anyone reccomend a UK supplier for a suitable telescope shroud material. It either has to be stretchy to get over the truss OTA or possibly I could use velcro and just wrap around. All new ideas welcome!

kind regards,

Marco.

I have a clingy Lycra little-black-dress for my truss Dob but I don't use it because it gets into the light path. :sad:  And it is harder to install than you might expect (because a telescope is much bigger than your foot so it is not like putting on a sock).  So I suggest you avoid anything very stretchy...

I am slowly making something using carbon fibre hoops so I would also be interested in knowing what materials are best.  I have picked up somewhere that you want to make sure you are using a material that will not absorb dew.

Archived