SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First image - cassiopeia

Hi There

First attempt at imaging, very basic just taken with a D40 on a tripod. I tracked by hand and took 6 x 15 second subs with a few darks - I was just having a play. Then edited in elements and GIMP.

I am planning to get a few more shots of the constellations and work on processing techniques. Any advice for improvements would be greatly appreciated. I am just learning as i go, it' s so enjoyable!

Thanks

Andy

post-32607-0-90454400-1409217413_thumb.p

Nicely done, if you are using gimp and PS elements it might be worth using DSS its free and does a reasonable job of stretching an image using its inbult tools you can then save it as an 8 bit image for gimp etc to finish off.

Alan

Thanks Guys

I did track by hand as it was taking me a while to get organised, i just had the camera Nikon D40 attached to my tripod. I did stack in DSS as i took 6 X 15 second subs. I will have a try at stretching Alan, someone else said this may bring more out of the image? Its a massive learning curve, im sure ill find a tutorial on here, it has been a massive help so far!

I like that, it's quite arty and leaves the viewer in no doubt that they are viewing Cassiopeia. It's kind of like a photo constellation card.

ConstellationCards.jpg?v=1

You've got good star colour there (something I fail miserably to achieve). The bright stars are very large with huge diffraction spikes. This makes for an interesting effect but you might want to try stopping down the lens a little to prevent them from dominating the image. What aperture and ISO settings did you use please?

By tracking by hand I guess you mean re-framing between exposures rather than moving the tripod while the shutter was open?

Archived