Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Quick M33, WO Star 71 First light, a few issues

lensman57

Hi,

last night I had the chance to put the scope to test at last. The sky stayed clear for a few hours. I opted for M33 and NGC 6823 ( as yet unprocessed ). There are a few issues which I will have to sort out one of them is my own making in the shape of an out of round lens hood causing funny looking stars. The image is just a a very quick process in PI and PS so a lot more can be done but the scope shows much promise and a few niggly issues that could be sorted out. I am not qiute happy with the colour balance either but for now it will do. I am just glad I got to image something.

14 X 600s subs Stacked in PI with full calibration frames. WO Star 71, Atik 428 EXC, Baader UHC-s L Booster filter, HEQ5 Pro and PHD, PI and PS.

Regards,

A.G

post-28808-0-07140500-1409136525_thumb.p

For an early stage process that's an impressive M33. The lighter areas lower right & left - are these nebulosity or a gradient? It's a nice 'punchy' M33 though and I like the way you've handled this one. 

Martin

Hi Martin,

Many thanks, the corners are uncorrected gradients as I have not spent much time doing a proper DBE. I also had a slight problem with the USB connection between the laptop and the GPUSB and PHD. I lost two subs as the guiding froze up  and I had to shut down and restart everything mid session so the position of the M33 was different in the 2nd try and this left a visible border after alignment and stacking. I will have another go at this once I get my PI head back on after a 3 weeks break. Too much Spanish sunshine and Jamon Iberico has left me a bit brain dead for now.

Regards,

A.G

It would be interesting to see this scope pointed at a few blue stars, just to see how it handles them. Great image tho none the less.

So do I Martin, but I think that it will be fine. I was a bit tentative about using the UHC-s filter but it has worked fine. If this weather improves I'd go for M45 and LRGB for the acid test.

Regards,

A.G

Hiya

Only just seen this. Very nice - puts my effort to shame! Still 14 x 600s would take me at least 3 nights to get! I'm not giving up - I'm gonna have another attempt! (weather permitting, of course!)

Louise

Hi louise,

I had an unexpectedly clear night as untill 6 pm it was just thick clouds and threat of rain.

A.G

Looking good!  As has been said on other threads recently, M33 is a deceptively difficult target.

Maybe a bit too much noise reduction in the background sky?  Perhaps masking out the stars and using a less stretched version of the background might help?

Good stuff though - well done!

Archived