Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lodestar Live Version 0.10 (Beta) Download - Transformation Update

Paul81

Hi All,

I finally got a few hours to work on the image transformation code in Lodestar Live this morning so here is version 0.10 which removes the simple bilinear image transform and replaces it with a Lanczos-3 resampling for much less blurring when exposures are registered during the live stacking process.

OSX: LodestarLive.app.0.10.osx.140727.zip

Windows: LodestarLive.0.10.win32.140727.zip

From the change log:

- Implemented Lanczos resampling in place of Bilinear interpolation when transforming images during live stacking process.
- Corrected non-fixed width font issue on live stacking status display.
I have tested the new code in my test harness and below are some comparison results - V0.9 on the left V0.10 on the right.
post-9673-0-17428200-1406456222_thumb.pn
post-9673-0-53449500-1406456229_thumb.pn
post-9673-0-86128200-1406456235_thumb.pn
Given the complexity of the live stacking I have been pleased that no major issues have been found in V0.9 and it seems to working really well and people have been getting good results. I have also been really pleased with all the positive feedback and comments - its very much appreciated and I look forward to hearing about folks observing sessions as the longer nights return!
Paul

Hi Paul

I look forward to getting some time with this new version - I managed an hour with V0.9 last week and was very impressed with the results, although it did highlight (and compensate for) the periodic error in my newly acquired HEQ5!

I have also discovered that setting up my HEQ5 including basic polar alignment using the polar scope and EQMAC is not much more difficult than setting up the Minitower in AZ mode.

CS

Paul

Paul - I designed the algorithm to match the stars between images to be completely 'lost in space' so it could cope will all sorts of drift, meridian flips and technically you should even be able to swap telescopes (not tried that....). Its quite amazing how much an object can drift over the course of 10 mins or so. I need to practice more setting up the AZEQ6GT in EQ mode - I stick with alt-az as I can get setup in less than 10 mins. Last time I used EQ mode it took me about 20 or so mins.

Martin - I guess this is the best time of year to be away as by the time you get back the longer nights would have returned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick status update with the latest work in progress.

So far the following updates have gone in as I progress towards V0.11:

1. The stacking stats (number of exposures, exposure length and stacking mode) are automatically added to the (optional) information text added to exported PNGs

2. Display processing sliders now allow 5x finer controls.

In addition I have been working on improved display processing. The contrast (stretch) function now stretches the histogram around the peak, and can do a much wider stretch. This means the histogram fattens without shifting. I have also been working on some non-linear processing functions to help improve dynamic range and tease out extra details. Its still work in progress and I have much more to do, but as a sneak peek here is M101 from V0.10:

post-9673-0-10452900-1409599930.png

And here is the same using the first of the non-linear modes in work in progress V0.11:

post-9673-0-94165900-1409599962.png

I have some other modes to try out so will post updates as I have them! I am also planning on adding auto white balance for V0.11 (auto align red, green and blue histogram peeks).

Wait.....LodestarLIVE can run by itself on an iPad?!  

John

No, John. My comment was in response to Paul's initial post and attached images. I was just viewing them on my iPad and could see the difference in improved sharpness. I use my MacBook Pro to run Lodestar Live.

Don

SQUARE STARS = lo-res lock !

Hi Paul - I'm running W7 on laptop and have LL0.7/ 0.9 / 0.10.  For the first time last night I started getting square stars + faint vertical/ horizontal background grid on all three progs. It's as if its locked in lo-res display mode in exposure range 20ms - 30s     Despite many reboots and switched res mode - all to no avail.    

Tonight I downloaded LL0.10 in a new folder but no change - square stars. 

Any advise appreciated -TIA

SQUARE STARS = lo-res lock !

Hi Paul - I'm running W7 on laptop and have LL0.7/ 0.9 / 0.10.  For the first time last night I started getting square stars + faint vertical/ horizontal background grid on all three progs. It's as if its locked in lo-res display mode in exposure range 20ms - 30s     Despite many reboots and switched res mode - all to no avail.    

Tonight I downloaded LL0.10 in a new folder but no change - square stars. 

Any advise appreciated -TIA

I also noticed some faint horizontal structures appearing e.g. on this image (and others) from last night. Is this what you're getting?

post-11492-0-17300200-1410386353.png

Is this an even-odd scan lines read delay issue of some kind?

Martin

Here's another close up with what to me appears to be some horizontal structure (weak though). A closer look suggests it is not a case of alternating scanlines -- the distance is too large for that (about 6 pixels in my case).  

post-11492-0-28575500-1410420858.png

The USB cable at the Lodestar end is a really loose fit and I've changed cables a couple of times. Is it the case that the new Lodestars have a better socket? Let us now how you get on with a new cable.

Martin

Hi Maurice,

Sorry about taking ages to reply to your post - been mega busy last few days so not made it onto the forum.

Hmm.. not too sure what this problem could be - can you post an example?

Also does any other program have the same issue - e.g. SX software or Nebulosity?

If it is just LL then it might be worth resetting the registry settings - if you start RegEdit and delete key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Shears Software' then LL will re-establish the registry data next time you start it.

Martin - not sure about the horizontal lines either. If the USB cable is loose or a bit iffy I would expect you will get camera disconnects rather than missing or corrupt data...

Paul

Thanks Paul - the issue is common to two cameras [e-finder + piggybacked scope] so leads unlikely at fault. I'll try your suggestion - suspect the s/ware has got corrupted. I'll report back.

Last night used the piggybacked 9cm f/5 Lensless Schmidt camera on old SX s/ware [sXv_m7c v3.6-1] on XP laptop for a change - see separate post later today !

Hi all,

I haven't noticed any banding in my first run with the camera except in a Moon shot, where it was hugely overblown and I was really pushing 

the contrast sliders trying to get anything out of the lit portion:

post-38433-0-15685400-1410808650.png

Same artifact?

Cheers,

Greg A

Archived