Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A night of great globs and more...

DRT

Tonight was the clearest, darkest sky I have had since last winter so I decided to go on a bit of a tour.

I usually spend my time switching EPs in and out of the scope but decided to give one of my new boys a chance to show what he can do. So the Nag T4 22mm went into the CPC1100's diagonal and off we went...

M10 (First Light) - Lying in the south west just above the ecliptic on a bright part of the sky. A very faint glob but clearly visible and definitely one to come back to when it is higher in the sky.

M12 (First Light) - Same patch of sky as M10 so dim and low. Some bright and sharp stars but mostly just a nebulous blob.

M11 (First Light) - WOW!!!! - A wonderful open cluster against a dark sky. It filled 50% of the FOV of the Nag 22mm and was simply stunning. A couple of hours later I came back to it with the Nag 17mm and it was even sharper and filled the eyepiece. A stunning object and not to be missed.

M13 - Hercules Cluster - Great position in the sky, high overhead to the south west and in the darkest part of the sky. I find this fascinating to look at - the longer you lokk the more stars you see - a seemingly endless collection of sharp, bright stars. A brilliant object that you just don't get tired of looking at. Later I came back with the Ethos 13mm. WOW! What a difference. The higher mag makes the sky much darker and the glob fills the FOV - until you move your head from side to side and realise the field goes on forever. A great match of EP and object in this scope.

M23 & M25 (First Light) - Too low and dim by the time I got to them but I will come back another time.

M71 (First Light) - High in the dark southern sky. A very dense star field across the entire FOV with M17 looking very faint and best observed with averted vision. Some bright stars but mostly nebulous and in a stunning neighbourhood. The glob is surrounded by so many stars it looks more like an open cluster.

M27 - Dumbbell Nebula - Shape clearly visible but just looks like a smudge on the lens as the sky is too bright. OII filter didn't improve anything.

NGC6826 (First Light) - Blinking Planetary Nebula - Directly overhead. Bright blue on a dark sky. I see why it gets its name! Look straight at it and it looks like one of dozens of stars in a cluster. Avert your eye and it gows into a blue disk about the size of Mars. Look back and its a star again. A very unusual and great object to observe.

M56 (First Light) - High in the south against a rish star field but very faint. A few minutes patience brings out some bright stars in the centre of the glob.

M57 - The Ring Nebula - This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite objects in the sky. High to the south against a dark sky and the best view I have had of it yet. Petrol blue with a clear ring and dark core. Absolutely fabulous and looked even better a couple of hours later through the 17mm Nag.

M2 (First Light) - Low and in the haze. Dim and nebulous. One to come back to.

M15 (First Light) - Mid elevation in the southern sky. A lovely glob which is very clear and bright.

Neptune (First Light) - Low in the south east against a bright haze. The blue colour was clearly visible but I wasn't convinced I was looking at Neptue as it was the same pin-[removed word] size as a star. I switched to the Baader Zoom and when I zoomed in and out I could clearly see that this was a planet, not a star. Nice to see it for the first time.

A fantastic night so far.

Now, if you don't mind, I've got to pop out and look at Uranus…

{sorry, I just can't help it even though I am 49 years old :lol: }

All packed up now. A few extra targets…

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy - The only galaxy I have been able to get a clear view of tonight. Very large cloud with a bright core. Probably the best view I have had of this near neighbour so far.

M92 - (TV Ethos 13mm) A lovely glob but the sky was starting to brighten so not as sharp as I have seen it on other occasions. Lots of bright stars in the core but the full glob is quite nebulous and rather washed out. Was much better when I swapped to the Nag 22mm as the lower mag was more forgiving on the sky conditions.

Uranus (First Light) - Nagler 12mm - Low in the south east on a brightening and hazy dawn sky. Greenish-blue, bright planetary disk clearly distinguishable with a couple of very small and dim objects in attendance which are presumably its moons? I switched to the Ethos 13mm and it showed a significant improvement in contrast and an extra moon(?) that wasn't visible with the nag 12mm.

A great night out with the CPC and my new collection of EPs. Time for a celebratory Talisker 10 yr old and then bed.

Can't wait for my 12" Dob to turn up on Sunday :grin:

Great report, and a very similar evening to mine! I too had a glob, neb and galaxy fest last night, many of the same ones as you.

Globs and other clusters: M2, M3, M10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 26, 27, 71 & 103.

Galaxies: M31, 33, 51, 81 & 82

Planetary nebs: M27, 57

And finally, Neptune!

Absolutely brilliant night, if just a touch hazy at times.

Kev

Managed to bag M30 in the binoculars last night, a nice little globular that I think would rival M3 if only it were higher up. M2 and M15 were easily seen as well, though I couldn't find M72 (that one is pushing it I think, but I'll keep trying). Milky Way through Cygnus down to Scutum stood out again.

Archived