Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C/2012 K1 Panstarrs

This is not the brightest Comet and I failed two nights on the trot to see this Comet with my binoculars. However, I was determine to view it last night despite the hazy skies. I set up my Skywatcher 150 PDS on the SkyTee 2 mount and used the 13mm Ethos to find the Comet. The Comet was close to Lambra Bootes so was an easy find. Once found you could make out the Head and an extension so I increased the Mag with the 10mm Delos for a better view. The Comet looks like a teardrop so I might have another go with a bigger scope.

So its worth tracking this Comet and here is a link and finder chart.

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

I saw it for the first time last night Mark. Conditions were very poor, haze and damp and the sky was 'muddy'.  It was  a small hazy patch in the 4" refractor but it should be around for a while and getting a bit brighter.

andrew

Nice report Mark  :smiley:

So far I've failed to see this comet with 12x60 binoculars but I've found it 3 times with scopes. It's not the easiest to pick up in smaller aperture though I feel as it's compact size and relative faintness make it easy to miss if there is much milkiness in the sky. It's worth the effort though and when it's found medium magnification helps bring it out  :smiley:

I was wondering about viewing in binoculars - it's high up which helps - possibly in 15x70 ?

andrew

They should be enough to spot 9th magnitude objects, as should my 12x60's which show mag 9 galaxies pretty well. This comet is a pretty small object though so the 15x magnification is going to make it quite a challenge to spot I reckon. Always worth trying though, especially if the comet is still brightening  :smiley:

I had a similar view last night despite quite poor seeing conditions. Entered the current RA and Dec in the goto and it was bang in the middle of the EP so cheated! Good view in my 10mm X-Cel.

Thanks for the info.

I was out las night under a quite hazy sky, but the nipper still looks the part near 21 Canes V.

It has a small-Bright head and a wisp of a straight, short tapering tail in my 8" with 10mm lens.

Comet Jaques is supposed to be mag 7.5 in southern Monoceros but its too low to see from my place, even on the

south coast its very low and getting lower each night. I may try from an elevated location if it clears some more but

I think I have missed this one.

Stil, Bank holiday tomorrow so I will be staying up tonight until the wee hours to try to Catch X1 Linear -

(One of the Original "Brat pack" with Ison and Lovejoy) Which should be around mag 8 near the border of Capricornus

and Aquarius.

Clear skies all

Mick

Archived