NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sywatcher 18" Dob. True or False?

OK, you can have it, but without the primary....

.. so you can send it to me :D

Hope so...it'll be next upgrade!! jajajajaja

but one more serious note, doesn't seem to be clear how heavy it will be, Not that I am even considering buying something that size myself for long time to come ( if ever), and if I did it would only be as an extra, not to supersede my 10 inch since I doubt I'd use it often enough.

As a next dream scope for something in between though the new explore scientific at 16 inches comes in very light indeed, something like 35 kg, that makes it more portable and easy enough to carry around in its case. If I cannot bring it to pristine skies it is not worth having ( for me anyway) I feel.  If the debated figure of 150 lbs is true for the SW 18 inch that makes portability a pain.  I  think dropping the 2 inches and chop the weight in half seems an attractive option, I'll still have a back left after a few months plus I may be tempted to set it up that bit more often. :0)

Rather than a big Dob, how about an RC (18" or so)?.

It's about time they brought out a big RC to combat GSO's 16". I'm sure Synta could make it and a blumming good one at that!

Thoughts anyone?

Jim

You don't hear very much about RC's for visual observing, there must be a reason though I have no idea why?

Cost, difficulty in collimation etc make them a bit niche really. 

I always saw RCs as a mid ground of speed between your fast newts and slow SCTs.  You can generally speed slow SCTs up to RC speeds (in my mind RC is F8-F7 area).

RCs also have large central obstructions which impinge on the view for visual observation.  Not so much of a problem for extended photography, I'd guess.

I agree, RC's are not for visual as they are for CCD work. RC's have a niche market and quality ones don't come cheap.

RC's are for those who have done the visual trip and are now looking to spend their Super, on a decent RC so they can settle down and do more meaningful things like Digital searching of galaxies for SN, Spectroscopy and of course, imaging.

I'm sure SW are aware of the market and I would not be surprised to see them bring out a RC within the next 12 months or so, to beat GSO's 16" F8 RC.

Closer to home, my EQ8 mount is still at TASCO in Sydney and hopefully we'll have an answer to the 'binding/jamming' issues, as reported in my earlier, SGL thread 'EQ8 binding/jamming'.

So as soon as I know what caused this and how it was fixed, the  world will know it. In the words of Big Arnie...I'll be baaacckkk....

Archived