Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ruined brand new eyepiece

Bubbles82

I know I should have stopped when I first marked the barrel but I'm absolutely seething . This is a brand new skywatcher eyepiece I was given yesterday as a Christmas present and when trying to remove the 1.25 adaptor I've managed to bust the out casing:( upon closer inspection it would appear this is another excellent piece of skywatcher QC as this appears to have been fitted while the paint was still wet sticking it solid not happy and yet more proof that skywatcher are not getting any better

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're designed to fit 1-1/4" or 2" without needing to swap adapters about , they aren't made to be dismantled for use , Sorry ... !!!

this isn't right as the thumb screw is there to hold the 1.25 adaptor in place u loosen this and unscrew the adaptor ???

Two things.

Fair dues to you for not being afraid, and, bad luck indeed.

I brutalised my ES 30mm when I removed the eye guard, meant if I ever sold it it would be worth a fraction of the cost, despite being much more useable.

Hard luck though, put it behind you, no good beating yourself up.

Barry

The thumb screw is there to hold the large eyepiece in place in a 1.25" draw tube. The screw presses against the outside of the draw tube for additional security. To use the eyepiece in 2" mode you just remove the thumb screw and store it somewhere safe. This is the same arrangement as most hybrid barrel eyepieces with the exception of the Hyperion I think.

This is what the FLO web site says:

"The 3.5mm, 5mm, 8mm, 13mm and 17mm versions feature a cleverly designed dual-fit barrel that enables them to be used in both 1.25” and 2” focusers.

The 22mm and 32mm versions have a 2" barrel.......

..........The 3.5mm, 5mm 8mm 13mm & 17mm focal lengths feature dual-fit barrels and are threaded for 1.25” filters. The 22mm and 32mm have 2" barrels that are threaded for 2" filters."

So the 3.5 - 17mm are 1.25" eyepiece with a 2" "skirt" for convenience if you wish to mount them in 2" draw tubes and the 22mm and 32mm are fully 2" eyepieces. Only the latter two are threaded for 2" filters as far as I can see.

Hi bubbles,

thats a real shame but an expensive lesson to learn. My nagler 12mm is a similar design that took a bit of further investigation to work out how to use it.

It may still work so I wouldnt just bin it and some decent metal glue may be able to repair it although I wouldnt guarantee it.

cheers

Hi bubbles,

thats a real shame but an expensive lesson to learn. My nagler 12mm is a similar design that took a bit of further investigation to work out how to use it.

It may still work so I wouldnt just bin it and some decent metal glue may be able to repair it although I wouldnt guarantee it.

cheers

That's what I would do. If it is still optically okay, glue the spare bit back on and get some use out of it.

I know I should have stopped when I first marked the barrel but I'm absolutely seething . This is a brand new skywatcher eyepiece I was given yesterday as a Christmas present and when trying to remove the 1.25 adaptor I've managed to bust the out casing:( upon closer inspection it would appear this is another excellent piece of skywatcher QC as this appears to have been fitted while the paint was still wet sticking it solid not happy and yet more proof that skywatcher are not getting any better

just grips and a screwdriver in the slot in the side. I do go to the gym though :) :)

Its hardly fair to moan about SW's quality control processes when you've brutalised the EP, is it? Without sounding too harsh "nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool". :tongue:

Yep ha ha like I said admitted my mistake and thought these were genuine 2 inch eyepieces not 1.25 trying to be 2 inch :) will be looking around for a better EP now plus upon close inspection the top lens has several bubbles in the glass although this may not have effected the view it does tell me where the quality / cost line is at:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would rescue it from the bin, have a word with Gina, she has recently acquired a new lathe. Send her a PM, when she is not busy, she might just have a go at turning you a new collar piece for practise. Worth an inquiry :)

Yep ha ha like I said admitted my mistake and thought these were genuine 2 inch eyepieces not 1.25 trying to be 2 inch :) will be looking around for a better EP now plus upon close inspection the top lens has several bubbles in the glass although this may not have effected the view it does tell me where the quality / cost line is at:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no need for 2" EP's below about 20mm depending on the design. 2" optics are only needed to give a wider field of view in longer focal lengths. It has nothing to with quality. A 13mm Ethos is an 1.25" in a 2" skirt. EP's don't get much better than that.

Archived