Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helios Apollo 22x85

I thought I'd share a few early impressions & pics of my recently acquired 22x85 Helios Apollo.

Removing the binocular from its case, the first thing that struck me was its sheer size and weight! The 22x85 is substantially larger and heavier than the 15x70, (10.5lbs vs 5lbs) & as such a decent mount is a mandatory

requirement.

I've been using them tripod mounted with a fluid video head,

but for astro use they'll be great on the P-mount.

To date I've only been able to use them for terrestrial observation, the weather hasn't played ball for any astro use. Observing some wind turbines some 10 miles distant, the increase in magnification over the 15x70 is immediately evident. Comparing both binoculars side by side, the 15x70 obviously has the wider fov, (4.4º vs 3º), but the 22x85 with 50% more magnification can definitely pull in more detail. Both are sharp and bright and a joy to use. So far I'm very pleased with this purchase & all I need now is for the weather gods to cut me a little slack so I can put this big gun through its paces properly :-)

post-11833-0-54975800-1372760281_thumb.j

post-11833-0-73038200-1372760528_thumb.j

post-11833-0-87307900-1372760583_thumb.j

Whoaah, they're some serious looking binoculars, Damo... Nice work! They look great set up on the fluid head!!

Look forward to hearing how you get on with them. I was just looking at some Fujinon 16X70 FMT-SX's and was tempted by the extra aperture. Very curious to see how you find the whopping 85mm under dark skies...

All the best with them!

You don't think 16x70's might be $975 worth of overkill with what I already have? If not, maybe I should look into the Helips Apollo 15x70's?! I assume you've been happy with yours...

I was only teasing mate, but those Fujis are very desirable all the same :-) I will say this though, the 15x70 Apollo is excellent, & by most accounts only a hair behind the Fujinon (the benchmark) in performance. You're right though, the Fujinon are a significant investment!!

Hi Demo

Looks a great pair of bins you got there, and really like the set up

I think you call it a P-mount (picture on the right) I think that is what i'm looking for, do you know the make and supplier name ect ? did you buy the lot together is the tripod sturdy ?

to be used in the field or is that just the head that goes on the tripod ?

sorry for so many questions

Doug

Cheers Doug! The tripod is a Manfrotto 475b, very sturdy and has a 26lbs capacity & comes without a head of any kind....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000A2JU7M

The head is a Manfrotto 502AH fluid video head...

http://www.cameraking.co.uk/Manfrotto+MVH502AH+Pro+Video+Head+with+Flat+Base.html

The Parallelogram mount is a Universal Astronomics Unimount Light purchased from here...

http://www.bigbinoculars.com/unimount.htm

I have a thread here with my thoughts on it :-)...

Great set up Damo and I am stuck between the Opticron 11x80s and 16x80s and also the Helios 15x85 and will make up mind soon but I just want to buy the best and both brands are great and what is swinging it towards the Japanese Opticron's is that I am told that the Japanese optics are superior but also I know the Chinese optics which are Helios are great too but also the Opticron's are are just over a £100 dearer. How clear and sharp are the views with the Helios and what shop did you get yours from mate. Cheers Matt :)

Hi Matt. Unfortunately I can't yet say what the night time views are like as the weather has been pants since I took delivery :embarrassed:

If the 15x70 is anything to go by though, I'm expecting good things, it really is a superb astro binocular. Whenever the clouds

do eventually sod off, I'll get them under the stars & update the thread with my thoughts on their performance :smiley:

Edit: I bought the 22x85 used on UK Astronomy Buy & Sell

I have a set of 20x90 Strathspey bins and although not often used now, i love them. I dont think of them as bins...............i see them more as two 90mm refractors mounted side by side because that is basically what they are. They are great for spotting galaxies...........even under a full moon.

Thanks Damo for posting the photos and they look amazing and the set up looks stable and I am going to be ordering the 15x70s and so far what have you enjoyed seeing with them and do the views give a 3d like effect. If you have any advice on them and mounting them then I would appreciate it and considering having the set up you have but the mount and the head look expensive but I will see if there is a cheaper alternative but the Manfrotto tripod looks good and if I decide to get the largest Helios after I get the 15x70s then that set up would be ideal. Thanks :)

Archived