Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW 127 Mak AZ with GOTO?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that's the new mount.... The OTA looks ludicrous on it! I'm waiting to see if there are any OTAs I don't know about at the International Astronomy Show then planning to upgrade that in the next month or so.

But back to the original issue of instability.

Don't tighten the bolts too much where the original tripod legs meet the mount, as I did this and when opening the tripod the other day the spreader legs opened unevenly and I snapped one! Big oops!

Luckily, the guy who sold me the other mount I got of ABS with the AZ3 legs on, also sent the old original legs, so I've just done a swap job and fixed the original mount.

Now I have two Synscan AZ GOTO mounts; one on perfect original tripod legs, the other on AZ3 tripod legs. I'm hoping to be able to post the pictures I've just taken of them both. The one on AZ3 legs is much more sturdy, both from a point of view of being difficult to push over, but also just trying to rotate the mount there is next to no movement compared to the original tripod. So changing the legs does seem to add more stability. The pictures I've taken are with the legs at full extension as this is how I use them; my back can't take too much bending. The AZ3 mount is taller by several inches and even at full extension is very sturdy.

So, I think for anyone wishing to change the legs, AZ3 legs are excellent, and it's a piece of cake to swap them, a bolt at the top of each leg; three bolts in all. I suspect you could fit other SW tripod legs, and looking at the new mounts legs (AZ EQ6) I think they may even fit! But don't hold me to that.

I haven't tried the OTA at night on either mount for a comparison and now I have the new mount I think I am unlikely ever to. Sorry. I'm happy to lend it to someone if they want to collect it and have a go.

I will keep one of the mounts for imaging with my DSLR but I will probably sell the other one. It looks like good quality mounts with the original legs go for about £150-£200 on fleabay and I think the other one with sturdier legs would be a bit more to cover the cost I paid for it. But no idea what I'm doing with either yet.

Hope that helps.

James

post-25543-0-36997400-1367668638_thumb.j

post-25543-0-90696500-1367668648_thumb.j

post-25543-0-51778500-1367668659_thumb.j

That lottery win came up then James :grin:

Sounds interesting with the new legs on,has it took that movement/vibration out the EP when touched??

I also noticed that the mount seems to flex on the tripod so do those new legs stop that little bit of movement as well??

As I say, I've not used the old mount with the new legs and I'm unlikely to do so. Sorry. I can stuff it in the back of the car next time I am your way and you can have a go.

There was no lottery win, I just realised it was pointless having savings gaining very little interest when I could spend some and enjoy it now.

James

As I say, I've not used the old mount with the new legs and I'm unlikely to do so. Sorry. I can stuff it in the back of the car next time I am your way and you can have a go.

There was no lottery win, I just realised it was pointless having savings gaining very little interest when I could spend some and enjoy it now.

James

Well if you wouldn't mind James that would be great,and i don't blame you spending.

The new mount, azeq6, is just in a total different league. Rock steady isn't the term! I put the dew shield on, changed eye pieces, focus, its all pretty much rock steady. It probably helps that its a pretty small ota, so it will be interesting to see how it copes with a larger ota when the time comes.

I'll let you know when i'm that way.

James

software version 03.34 Utility function > PAE > Clear PAE data - yes - displays a warning message "Warning: if you select Yes, the PAE data will be cleared. if you want to keep the PAE data, please select No. Every time when you do the star alignment the previous PAE stored data will be cleared automatically."

If you let this message scroll out to the end, the handset locks up and a hard re-boot (power off - power on) is necessary. Somebody ran off the end of a string array I suspect ....

Yes, that's the new mount.... The OTA looks ludicrous on it! I'm waiting to see if there are any OTAs I don't know about at the International Astronomy Show then planning to upgrade that in the next month or so.

Don't tighten the bolts too much where the original tripod legs meet the mount, as I did this and when opening the tripod the other day the spreader legs opened unevenly and I snapped one! Big oops!

Luckily, the guy who sold me the other mount I got of ABS with the AZ3 legs on, also sent the old original legs, so I've just done a swap job and fixed the original mount.

Now I have two Synscan AZ GOTO mounts; one on perfect original tripod legs, the other on AZ3 tripod legs. I'm hoping to be able to post the pictures I've just taken of them both. The one on AZ3 legs is much more sturdy, both from a point of view of being difficult to push over, but also just trying to rotate the mount there is next to no movement compared to the original tripod. So changing the legs does seem to add more stability. The pictures I've taken are with the legs at full extension as this is how I use them; my back can't take too much bending. The AZ3 mount is taller by several inches and even at full extension is very sturdy.

So, I think for anyone wishing to change the legs, AZ3 legs are excellent, and it's a piece of cake to swap them, a bolt at the top of each leg; three bolts in all. I suspect you could fit other SW tripod legs, and looking at the new mounts legs (AZ EQ6) I think they may even fit! But don't hold me to that.

I haven't tried the OTA at night on either mount for a comparison and now I have the new mount I think I am unlikely ever to. Sorry. I'm happy to lend it to someone if they want to collect it and have a go.

I will keep one of the mounts for imaging with my DSLR but I will probably sell the other one. It looks like good quality mounts with the original legs go for about £150-£200 on fleabay and I think the other one with sturdier legs would be a bit more to cover the cost I paid for it. But no idea what I'm doing with either yet.

Hope that helps.

James

James,

I have been looking at taking the more sturdy legs off my S/W EQ3/2 mount (which I haven't used for ages) and mounting them on my AZ GOTO. On trial fitting an EQ3/2 leg it is apparent that the EQ3/2 bolts are larger in diameter than those of the AZ GOTO but not by much. Did you find this and if so was it simply a matter of slightly widening the AZ GOTO holes to fit?

I must say that the original AZ GOTO bolts are a bit of a loose fit and no wonder it makes a bit of a difference to the mount's stability if they are tightened up!!

Out of interest has anyone any views on how the S/W AZ Goto compares with the iOptron cube GOTO - does it deliver any significant advantage over the S/W one??

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16409&cat=280&page=1

This has been a most interesting and informative thread and one which I shall continue following.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

post-11604-0-66167900-1369497506_thumb.j

Hope that helps.

James

Well I have taken the plunge and modified the tripod legs of my AZ GOTO mount!!

I used an unused EQ3/2 set of legs which are also the same as the Skywatcher AZ3 tripod legs.

The locating holes for the tripod legs on the AZ GOTO mount do need opening out a little, only a few mm, which I did with a small round file and dremel modelling drill with small grinder stone.

The holes were filed out just a little so that there was no slack when the slightly larger bolts from the new tripod legs were inserted. The washers from the doner tripod served as spacers and I added fresh washers at either end of the bolt for completeness.

First light was very pleasing - using my Mak 127 complete with tube rings / MRDF and 9x50 Raci (not as light as it could be!!) the extra stability was impressive - especially with a bit of extra weight on the accessory tray.

Vibrations seemed to disappear after less than 1sec (150 mag). I am now looking forward to trialling my ED80 and will probably lighten the Mak by removing the tube rings I fitted when I used my EQ3/2 mount.

This should help stability further.

I am very pleased with the modified tripod and the set up looks great as well. I wonder if Skywatcher could produce a "de Luxe" version of the AZ GOTO with the upgraded legs - or even better fit them as standard!!

The tripod is shown in the thumbnail carrying my ED80.

Looks great Nibor.Will you be trying out any imaging,let us know how you get on if you do??

Thanks for the comments!!

I am tentatively looking at video obseving / imaging for this autumn / winter.

If I do take it up I will keep SGL up to date!!

• 3 months later...

A very interesting and helpful discussion - I have the S/W AZ GOTO and find it an immense help in my light polluted skies. I generally use it with my widefield 80mm refractors which it handles fine.

The Mak 127 is a slightly different issue..... My Mak was purchased new on an EQ3/2 mount and because of the contortions I found myself getting into with finderscope viewing I fitted tube rings - which were a great success - the original dovetail was removed.

When I tried to fit the original dovetail back and try the MAK on the GOTO the finderscope brackets are practically impossible to make use of so I have to use the tube ring arrangement - which TBH makes the scope IMO a bit heavy for the mount. A bag of sand or a spare counterweight or two does help but ultmately I may have to purchase another self adhesive finder bracket and remount the otiginal dovetail.

It would appear that the dovetail and/or finderscope bracket is mounted in a different position on the scope depending on whether the packaged mount is an EQ or AZ GOTO.

All in all I think the AZ GOTO / MAK combination is a great value for money package and good for both planetary and the not so wide DSOs.

How did you fit tube rings on the Mak? Did you remove the dovetail or the finder bracket?

post-11604-0-85911500-1379966931_thumb.j

How did you fit tube rings on the Mak? Did you remove the dovetail or the finder bracket?

Russe,

I removed the original dovetail and kept the finder bracket.

I used a 21cm Skywatcher dovetail bracket and added an extra  self adhesive finder bracket so as to have both a red dot and optical finder. See the attached photo.

Hope this helps.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif Mak 127 tube rings.JPG

Russe,

I removed the original dovetail and kept the finder bracket.

I used a 21cm Skywatcher dovetail bracket and added an extra self adhesive finder bracket so as to have both a red dot and optical finder. See the attached photo.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking, if I remove the original dovetail - am I going to have loose washers in the tube or not??

I was thinking, if I remove the original dovetail - am I going to have loose washers in the tube or not??

Russe,

I found no problems in this area -  the original dovetail attachment screws simply screwed out. What I did do though was to cover the two open screw holes with small pieces of black adhesive tape to prevent any extraneous light getting in.

Archived