Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW 127 Mak AZ with GOTO?

Thanks AG.

I was gonna get the 25mm BST but an 8mm and 12mm came up for sale second hand so bought those instead.

Hi,

I think that you should be very happy with them, both will work very well on the 127.

Regards,

A.G

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I think that you should be very happy with them, both will work very well on the 127.

Regards,

A.G

Managed to get out on Friday night and had a good night with friends.

The BSTs i have were all great,managed to get a 25mm as well.

The Moon looked fantastic and later on about about 3-30am Saturn looked wonderful.

So really pleaased with the 127.

Thanks DTR,glad you like it.

I have done a stacked image of M92 which i will put on later,but in the mean time here is an image of the Moon taken the same night,

Click on image for larger view.

post-23363-0-33579800-1366733847_thumb.j

Thanks James,not sure about a natural though :shocked:

Well here is a shot of the Moon taken last night early evening.

I got out just in time before it went behind a tree.

Click on image for larger view.

post-23363-0-16335400-1366828482_thumb.j

I lied about changing the legs on this mount. It seems you can replace the tripod legs on the existing mount with those from other, more stable mounts, including the eq3 / eq4....

There are a set of tripod legs on abs from an eq6 for £55! Not sure if they'd fit but worth investigating.

James

I was looking at my scope set up the other night and trying to see where the movement was and it seemed to be more in the mount rather than the legs.

Do you think putting the mount onto those EQ6 legs would stop the vibrations/movement??

I think the legs might help. I don't think they'd stop vibration or movement entirely, and how much they'd help is hard to say. It's something you have to experiment with, really.

James

That sounds interesting JamesB,i will look forward to seeing how it turns out.

I have got a nice heavy sturdy tripod i use for my camera and was thinking of making an adaptor to put the mount/scope onto this pod,just to see if it would help,so i might go ahead and try it??

As anyone put their 127s onto a stronger pod???

Once the nut is tightened up, i don't think there is much movement between the ota and the mount.

The next junction is where the mount arm screws into the cup of the tripod. There are lugs inside the base of the cup which limit rotational movement and the screw pulls the arm down and locks it all in place. If screwed up tight, i don't think there is much movement here.

The next place is where the mount top fixes to the three legs. This is a hinge joint, with the legs each having a head which slots in between two lugs of the tripod top, a bolt goes through one lug, through the leg head, then through another lug. A nut tightens this all up. The tighter the nut is done up, the less rotational movement there is, but also less hinge action. I think this is one of the main sites of movement. I think tightening this nut up once set ip might reduce movement here, but does make the hinge action very stiff. I suspect if it's all done up VERY tight it might put stresses on the plastic lugs.

The next place for potential movement is the tripod itself. With the original tripod the three legs are only anchored to one another by a relatively flimsy plastic tray with hinged arms to each leg. The tray locks in place to fix the hinged arms in place, but there is plenty of laxity here, and as a consequence there is a fair amount of laxity in the trip itself, and it can be rotated relatively easily.

I don't know why wider diameter tubing for legs adds greater stability per se, but as mounts get more advanced the tubing gets wider. The legs on this mount are 1.25" or thereabouts. The neq6 is 2".

The hinged tray component also must add rigidity to the more complex tripods.

So yes, i think the tripod is probably the main site of the instability reported, assuming the nut in the mounting arm has already been tightened as per contributions earlier in this thread.

While it will be interesting to see how these new legs help, i have to confess i've also ordered an equatorial mount over he weekend, bad planning i know, so i suspect my interest in the az goto mount will reduce :( if i don't use the az goto for wide field astrophotography, i'll probably sell it on.

James

That is all true James,but why do you get so much movement when just very lightly touching the EP with my eyebrow,just the faintest of touches will cause the mount to move badly through the EP.

I set up the other night and the tripod seemed solid to me,as i had pushed the three feet into the grass,put the battery pack on the tray,so i started tapping the set up from the tripod upwards and the nearer it go to the vertical mount the worse it got,yet when you pull away and try to see whats moving there is nothing thats that noticeable???

i'm wondering if because your looking through the eyepiece even a very small vibration will look worse as it is magnifying the movement eg if the scope vibrates 1 -2 mm when looking through say a eypiece 25mm on say jupiter it would be a very large movement and look like a lot of vibration . if windy i notice massive movement on my 10" dob but theOTA is only moving a few mm's

I will need to see how the scope responds on the new equatorial mount, and try to compare it to the old mount. I suspect it is a cumulative effect of all the plastic, which has more give than the metal mount will.

Once focus is achieved, you shouldn't need to adjust it too often unless changing eye pieces. Have you given all those nuts a good tightening again? Go on, give them a good turn.... Lol

And make sure the screw which holds the dove tail of the ota is done up night and tight when the ota is mounted.

It's difficult to comment without seeing it.

No, i've mot teied it, had a hectic week. My azeq6 has also arrived which unfortunately is likely to be the only thing which will get used from now on.... I may just put the other one straight back on ABS.

James

Archived