Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2012 DA 14 imaging on February 15th 2013 - Let's discuss how!

Hey everyone,

I searched the forum on this topic and was surprised to see that it wasn't being discussed! (at least not that I could find).

I'll be using Skysafari pro to track its path, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to find it...

... but then what's the best technique to image it?

- Webcam?

- DSRL in video mode?

- Long exposure (guided)?

What settings should we aim at? (ISO, exposure, etc)

Anyone who hunted similar objects in the past who want to share their experience would be highly appreciated!

Thanks

Andrea

Good question Andrea. I'm planning on setting up video camera on 100mm refractor and DSLR on 10" SCT, not based on any particular knowledge of what I'm doing (as usual)

Always supposing it's not cloudy of course, then all this planning will be purely academic :)

One other problem I've garnered from other forums is that the actual path appears to be a bit hit and miss at the moment and any published expected path is likley to be less accurate the older it is.

I don't know if any of the "apps" available will be updated at the last minute.

Dave

Yes, I would be interested in some advice. I have several possible ideas:

1) With my DSLR at prime focus through my 9.25" f/10 with a set of (say) 1 minute or 30" exposures should show it moving. The risks are that if it's not well aligned the background stars may trail too.

2) With that (or my old Canon 300D) with my 400mm f5.6 lens, perhaps piggy back mounted. However, will this be sensitive enough to show the track of the asteroid without over-exposing the image?

3) with my 50mm f1.4 lens. This should be sensitive enough to show the asteroid but is likely to ever-expose the rest of the field. A 10s 800 ISO exposure should easily reveal a 8th magnitude slow moving object. I could take a series of these and stack them. Or possibly do a long exposure at (say) ISO 100. But light pollution where I am is likely to be a big problem, especially as the object is low down for most of its pass.

I'd be interested in suggestions mand advice on the best exposures for different lenses. There is time to try out various options of course.

I also note that jpl.nasa.gov calsky.org and heavens-above give slightly different coordinates for the object even with the same longitude/latitude. It's around 10s of RA and 3' of DEC. That shouldn't be a problem for options 1 or 2 but might for prime focus where the field is about 30'x20' if the scope isn't well aligned.

From a tracking perspective I'm going to use sky safari pro. They made an app upgrade which claims NASA level precision specifically for the purpose of tracking this asteroid. :-) we shall see.

I was also told heavens above should be pretty accurate.

I can't comment on the rest since I was hoping more experienced folks to chip in!

With my NexStar 6se I'm going to try my best to spot it. But imaging it will be a challenge!

Good luck everyone - and please keep posting advice!

I might have a go if it's clear... Trying to figure out exposure length, it'll need to be quite short subs because it'll be zipping past. 30s at most on the nearest approach, I think.

Just don't use Stellarium to find it. It doesn't seem to adjust to observer location, so is a long way off!

Heavens Above seems to a reasonable handle on it. Just enter your own location for an accurate plot

Calsky.org and the jpl.nasa sites give slightly different results from each other and Heaven-above. The difference isn't enough to worry for binocular or wide field photography but might be for telescopic observation and photography.

Archived