Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 130 mystery thread connection

Happy new year everyone,!

After following some advice by a fellow contributor on here I discovered a previously unknown screw thread by removing the eyepiece holder (where the t-ring attaches). Is anyone else aware of these thread and if there is an adapter/t ring for this as I HOPE it will now allow that bit extra in ward movement to bring the DSLR into focus.

Ideas anyone?

Hi, yes I also found this after reading an article elsewhere, I had a new insert made for my standard T ring (I work in engineering) that suited this thread, but it DOES NOT allow prime focus with a DSLR unforunately, this was the point at which I decided to limit my 130P for observing and imaging planets/moon with a webcam.

You CAN achieve prime focus using the 2x Barlow you probably got with the scope, but you then obviously get the magnification issue on larger targets, meaning you will need to look into mosaics.

Another option I was considering was removing some of the top of the focuser 'body' fabrication, to allow more inward travel, as I dont believe with the modified T ring I was too far away from focus but decided against it and got an ED100 refractor to use with my 1100D.

I hope this was helpful

Happy new year everyone,!

After following some advice by a fellow contributor on here I discovered a previously unknown screw thread by removing the eyepiece holder (where the t-ring attaches). Is anyone else aware of these thread and if there is an adapter/t ring for this as I HOPE it will now allow that bit extra in ward movement to bring the DSLR into focus.

Ideas anyone?

dave the standard cannon t ring should fit m42 thread i think

i think you can get a 1.25 adapter that screws into the thread and the you just put the dslr in the EP but your still not going to get enough inwards focus. im at a loss here :icon_scratch: the only other option is moving the primary up the tube or replacing the focuser, i know FLO sell the 130DS which is designed for AP and at a good price too then its good to go for AP http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

Hi was having a play around this afternoon, my t ring adapter fits on the 1.25" insert on my skywatcher 200p.

as for photography focus i don't know.

However when i first put my scope together i put the 2" adapter on the focuser with the 1.25 adapter on top of that then the eyepiece by mistake.

The 2 adapters together then the T ring might give enough movement for photography

• 1 month later...

This is the thread in question.

I've spent the evening online trying to work this out via Google, and so far have failed.

By rough measurement (tape measure, no calipers) the silver metal thread is about a 39mm or 40mm thread - noticeable smaller than the black eyepiece holder's 42mm T-ring thread (aka M42x0.75). By eye the pitch is different too, the groves seem wider.

See also http://www.alananna....130m-telescope/ which has some good information, but sadly not the mystery metal thread's size.

It is a shame the mystery thread isn't 39mm, I was wondering if a Leica 39mm camera adapter could be used to connect the metal part of the SkyWatcher 130 focuser directly to a DSLR (plenty of those adapters on eBay). Maybe it could be forced with a file as in your solution, with the advantage that we shouldn't need to cut the plastic sleeve of the focuser to get extra travel.

Time to look into 40mm adapters - does any have a good guess for the mystery thread's pitch?

I've put up a thread about what I did. The thread on the focus tube is 38mm. The 42 to 39mm converter doesn't quite fit.

Durrr! I mean it is 40mm, not 38.

Here's bluewater's thread, and for anyone else considering cutting back the sleeve of the Skywatcher 130 focuser to get more travel, have a look at the pictures and instructions for disassembling the focuser here.

I've also ordered a 39mm to 42mm adapter on eBay, and a 39mm Leica to Canon EOS adapter. Hopefully with a little filing one of these will let me connect onto the SkyWatcher 40mm focuser thread OK - I'm encourage by the reports it can be done, even if just enough for a few turns of the thread. I'll post back once the parts arrive from China and I've had a go.

• 1 month later...

The 39mm to 42mm adapter from eBay arrived but was the wrong way round to what I expected (male/female) so no use here.

The 39mm Leica to Canon EOS adapter from eBay also arrived, and I spent an evening filing the thread out from 39mm to about 40mm but have not had as much success as bluewater (thread). Right now the thread is nearly bald, but it still doesn't quite fit onto the focuser. Maybe I need to keep filing...

• 4 years later...

Archived