Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focus using a camera - Skywatcher 130M

watersblue

Well, I've managed to modify my SW130 enough to achieve focus using my daughter's Pentax dslr. I first sawed off the top part of the focuser, but this wasn't enough. I then found that the eyepiece holder unscrews and thus being able to get the camera closer. However, the thread does not fit a 42mm T thread. SO I ordered a 42 to 39 mm converter from eBay; it didn't quite fit, but with a bit of a file, it now screws on a few turns. Great stuff! I took a photo of the moon to see what I could achieve, although the sky was still pretty light.

Photo15-02-2013174010_zpse4bb7e3b.jpg

moonjpg_zpsd3b5e06e.jpg

Well done. Your persistence pays off :)

What you can do now is take lots of shots of the Moon in quick succession (I usually go for 100 or so, but even 20 would be a start), stack them together using Registax, play with the wavelets and you should be able to produce an image that's sharper than is possible with a single frame.

James

• 2 months later...

Due to the fiddly nature of having to muck about with the filed-down adapter for the thread each time I take pictures , I took a new jigsaw blade to the end of my tube just now. I took off about 4.5cm. It was a tough job with the jigsaw, but I managed to get it all drilled for the mirror. Collimation, after all that drilling and sawing, was very near spot on, strangely. I couldn't focus on the distant trees, now not having enough up-focus; this was expected, and was fine with an extension tube. I'll be giving it a blast with the camera on the next clear night. That might be a while, I guess.

Archived