Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cosmetically challenged Celestron ED80

Chris

Hi Starfox,

I am really pleased you have an excellent scope for that superb DIY observatory of yours and at a really good price too. Now it's optically ok you should now look at the mechanics.

Check Astronomy shed on improving the SW ED80 focuser. It certainly works. I have the single speed focuser on my ED80 and I attached the SW autofocuser onto it.

After modding the focuser & attached the autofocuser I can hang in excess of 1kg off it without any danger of slipping.

Can't wait to see what will be the finished scope

cheers

Steve

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do want to upgrade the focuser, a Steeltrack is probably a good call, or a 2" Feathertouch if you want to splash out.

How much are both of these focusers again Earl?:D, I would probably need to sell my WO66 with FRII to get the cheaper one even. I'm not sure if this would be a good thing or a bad thing:D

Remember the C80ED has an unusual focuser assembly that screws onto the OTA directly and from memory is 96mm wide. If you did want to change the focuser you need to get an adapter from agena astro in the states

http://agenaastro.com/agena-crayford-focuser-adapter-celestron-c80ed-refractor.html

which screws on and then allows the fitting of 86mm focusers of which I don't think there are many. If you did go down this road the agena adapter can be very tricky to get screwed all the way on this is down to the OTA's not all having quite the right pitch on the thread. I could only get mine screwed on so far and it left 2 threads showing which didn't really effect the scope but being the scope tart that I am it always bothered me. So a quick trip to Homebase and came out with one of those Boa strap wrenches and with a bit of negotiation It was Man 1 Scope 0 and the adapter was completely on :)

A steeltrack will work with an additional adapter http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p770_Adapter-for-2--Steeltrack-Refractor-focusers-to-90mm-tubes.html

I believe moonlite will also knock up a flange to fit the C80ed if you really wanted some bling ;)

Probably all overkill if the scopes only going to be used for visual

Remember the C80ED has an unusual focuser assembly that screws onto the OTA directly and from memory is 96mm wide. If you did want to change the focuser you need to get an adapter from agena astro in the states

http://agenaastro.co...-refractor.html

which screws on and then allows the fitting of 86mm focusers of which I don't think there are many. If you did go down this road the agena adapter can be very tricky to get screwed all the way on this is down to the OTA's not all having quite the right pitch on the thread. I could only get mine screwed on so far and it left 2 threads showing which didn't really effect the scope but being the scope tart that I am it always bothered me. So a quick trip to Homebase and came out with one of those Boa strap wrenches and with a bit of negotiation It was Man 1 Scope 0 and the adapter was completely on :)

A steeltrack will work with an additional adapter http://www.teleskop-...90mm-tubes.html

I believe moonlite will also knock up a flange to fit the C80ed if you really wanted some bling ;)

Probably all overkill if the scopes only going to be used for visual

Thanks for the info and links for the focuser and adapters:) I won't lie it would be really nice to fix the weak point of these scopes, especially as I do more imaging than visual now days. I think due to costs I will try the astronomy shed upgrades as sloz suggests first and if I'm still not happy with the focuser performance I'll take it from there.

I see your a studio Ghibli fan:)

you gotta love totoro and catbus pure genius IMO and Disney wishes it could make films like Ghibli.

Yep! if someone locked me in the room with a box set of Ghibli and Disney I know which one I'd watch 5 times through before even considering watching the other box set:D

the onyx and c80ed are different scopes i believe, onyx is f/6.25 and the c80ed is f/7.5

I wish mine was f/6.25 natively, I'm going to need the SW 0.85 R/F to bring mine down to that speed, this will definately be on my list:)

this is the stuff i bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-Sheet-Wrap-Sticker-Film-Bubble-Free-0-20mm-/320808563805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4ab1ae345d

try and get the bubble free stuff makes it so much easier to get air bubble out should you end up with any

a little tip when you come to stick the viynl on spray the sticky side with a water a washing up liquid solution (only needs a little washing liquid) as this will give you a few seconds of movement once its on before it starts sticking which can be very handy for getting it exactly lined up right ;)

this is the stuff i bought http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ab1ae345d

try and get the bubble free stuff makes it so much easier to get air bubble out should you end up with any

a little tip when you come to stick the viynl on spray the sticky side with a water a washing up liquid solution (only needs a little washing liquid) as this will give you a few seconds of movement once its on before it starts sticking which can be very handy for getting it exactly lined up right ;)

Thats a good price for the quality, I've bookmarked it:)

and thanks for the tip, it does look like one chance only stuff:D

Thanks

Thanks

Yep! if someone locked me in the room with a box set of Ghibli and Disney I know which one I'd watch 5 times through before even considering watching the other box set:D

This guy lives at the end of the bed. I told the better half it was a present for her. I might have lied ;)

post-11849-135464364773_thumb.jpg

Even though I'm going to incase the scope in Carbonite:D I'm about to touch up the paintchips with black metal paint, my OCD brain is making me do this so I don't spend the rest of time knowing that theres chipped paint under the vinyl and then worrying about it !:D

sounds quite logical to me :)

one of these is also very handy for getting the vinyl on smooth and for pushing bubbles out

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a7a00ae63

Excellant!:) I can imagine getting a bit too into doing this and then no object will be safe!:D I'm already thinking my pier tube would look rather nice with a carbon fibre effect.

Archived