Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter with Xbox Live cam

Redpaul

Not bad at all that, gives the rest of us some hope at achieving something similar, well done, I guess a 3x barlow might be on the cards now then :grin:

I have a 3 x Barlow but it didn't come out too well. I also have a 4 x Imagemate but I just can't get it to focus even with my Philips cam or just viewing through it.

Paul

My first attempt at Jupiter with my Xbox Live cam and 2x barlow on my 200p. I also managed to get Europa.

8034364415_fe00320066_o.jpg

Jupiter 29 Sept 2012 by Paul S Wharton, on Flickr

Paul

Nice one!

I tried the cam with Saturn and Venus and the image was way overexposed, even when using a barlow lens and filters.

What software / settings did you use to achieve that?

Cheers!

That's a great image, I'm striggling to get anything near that with my Astromaster 130 and xbox camera, what software are you using to stack, and what software to capture?

Cheers.

I'm pretty certain I used Craterlet to capture, I can't get it to work properly in Sharpcap and stacking was done in Registax 6.

Paul

• 4 months later...

My first attempt at Jupiter with my Xbox Live cam and 2x barlow on my 200p. I also managed to get Europa.

8034364415_fe00320066_o.jpg

Jupiter 29 Sept 2012 by Paul S Wharton, on Flickr

Paul

Superb capture mate, I'm using the Xbox cam too but not got anything nearly this good, only just got it and still fiddling with settings. Did you use sharpcap? If so, what settings did you use?

Superb capture mate, I'm using the Xbox cam too but not got anything nearly this good, only just got it and still fiddling with settings. Did you use sharpcap? If so, what settings did you use?

Cheers. I did use Sharpcap but I can't remember the settings.

Paul

• 9 months later...

Hello mate :)

Ive just bought an Xbox Live Cam off Ebay and was wondering how you mounted it to the 200p?  I have found the threads about how to take it apart and remove LED etc but conflicting details on how long the glued on adapter needs to be to achieve focus and wether or not to remove the cut IR filter.

Any help would be appreciated before i get happy with the pliers and screwdrivers lol!

Cheers

Lee

You should be pleased with that Paul. Nice detail beginning to come through an excellent first attempt.

Best regards,

Ralph

Hello mate :)

Ive just bought an Xbox Live Cam off Ebay and was wondering how you mounted it to the 200p?  I have found the threads about how to take it apart and remove LED etc but conflicting details on how long the glued on adapter needs to be to achieve focus and wether or not to remove the cut IR filter.

Any help would be appreciated before i get happy with the pliers and screwdrivers lol!

Cheers

Lee

Hi LeeWilky,

I thought to answer since I own the same equipment!  I used a standard film barrel simply glued to the XBOX Live cam body. If that's too long, you can still push it more inside the focusser, if it needs to be longer, a barlow will probably do the job, and if you are going to do imaging with the Explorer 200P, you will probably be using the barlow anyway :) In regards to the IR filter, not sure what's the best option, I have removed it and it looks like planets are coming out purple, but not sure if that's caused by the lack of IR filter.

Hope this helps!

Hi LeeWilky,

I thought to answer since I own the same equipment!  I used a standard film barrel simply glued to the XBOX Live cam body. If that's too long, you can still push it more inside the focusser, if it needs to be longer, a barlow will probably do the job, and if you are going to do imaging with the Explorer 200P, you will probably be using the barlow anyway :) In regards to the IR filter, not sure what's the best option, I have removed it and it looks like planets are coming out purple, but not sure if that's caused by the lack of IR filter.

Hope this helps!

Thanks mate thats brilliant!  The camera should be here tomorrow so ill pop out and buy some 35mm film and keep the cases. 

Archived