NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 1000D "Remote Manual Focus"

Psychobilly

The Later Canon "Liveview" bodies when used with EOS Lenses can be "manually" focused remotely in Live view mode...

Some of the latest bodies allow you full remote manual focus with the Camera set to MF through the EOs utils... The 1000D doesn't offer this mode but it's still possible to achieve this functionality ...

Here's how I have it setup and use it on My 1000D

Leave the Lens in AF Mode...

In The Customs Functions Menu you need to Set C. Fn III (item 7) to 2:Live Mode this seems to allow the 1000D to fire the shutter without having to achieve focus lock...

Connect the camera to the PC using the USB lead

Fire up Eos Utils in Remote Shooting mode...

Click on the Remote Liveview Shooting Bar in the main control window..

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_1.jpg

In the Remote Live View Window

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_2.jpg

use the...

<<< >>> buttons to make large focus changes

<< >> buttons to make smaller focus changes

< > buttons to make tiny focus changes - you might not immediately notice the change unless your using a bahtinov mask...

< << <<< move focus closer > >> >>> move focus towards infinity OO symbol

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_3.jpg

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_4.jpgOnce you have go the focus close click on the magnifying glass to call up the zoomed view and use the buttons to tweak the focus...

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_5.jpg

The Region of Interest for the Zoomed view can be moved by draging the white rectangle around the non zoomed view or using the arrows in the zoomed view to scroll it around the image...

I usually tape the focus ring with Micropore surgical tape once it's focused

Peter...

So let me get this straight. The lens is in AF mode and yet it does not automatically go for focus just prior to taking the shot?

This is really useful for any sort of remote settings - I setup mine for bird shots.

yep... You can shoot anytime even if the focus isn't locked... It looks The AF focus mode needs to be "liveview" ... with the 1000D it's the bit about C. fn III (7) being set to 2....

The 500D has true Remote Manual focus... you get a MF/AF switch on the EOS utils main control window (top right)

Peter...

• 3 years later...

The Later Canon "Liveview" bodies when used with EOS Lenses can be "manually" focused remotely in Live view mode...

Some of the latest bodies allow you full remote manual focus with the Camera set to MF through the EOs utils... The 1000D doesn't offer this mode but it's still possible to achieve this functionality ...

Here's how I have it setup and use it on My 1000D

Leave the Lens in AF Mode...

In The Customs Functions Menu you need to Set C. Fn III (item 7) to 2:Live Mode this seems to allow the 1000D to fire the shutter without having to achieve focus lock...

Connect the camera to the PC using the USB lead

Fire up Eos Utils in Remote Shooting mode...

Click on the Remote Liveview Shooting Bar in the main control window..

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_1.jpg

In the Remote Live View Window

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_2.jpg

use the...

<<< >>> buttons to make large focus changes

<< >> buttons to make smaller focus changes

< > buttons to make tiny focus changes - you might not immediately notice the change unless your using a bahtinov mask...

< << <<< move focus closer > >> >>> move focus towards infinity OO symbol

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_3.jpg

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_4.jpgOnce you have go the focus close click on the magnifying glass to call up the zoomed view and use the buttons to tweak the focus...

1000D%20Remote%20Focus_5.jpg

The Region of Interest for the Zoomed view can be moved by draging the white rectangle around the non zoomed view or using the arrows in the zoomed view to scroll it around the image...

I usually tape the focus ring with Micropore surgical tape once it's focused

Peter...

So going to try this out right now

Archived