Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 first attempt with standard tripod

stevedodkins

Hi all,

Here's my first attempt at deep space astrophotography, taken 28th January on the outskirts of Northampton.

Canon 40d + f/2.8 70-200mm L IS @ f/4, 97 x 2 secs ( + 97 dark frames), ISO 3200.

Stacked in DSS and processed in CS4.

I'd welcome any suggestions or tips (on processing as well). (or suggestions on any other astro photos i've taken Astrophotography - a set on Flickr)

I imagine most other deep space objects are going to be out of my range without a equatorial mount. I saw on a recent thread that andromeda would be hard too, but was wondering if anyone has tried to capture it and been succesful using just a plain tripod?

Steve Dodkins

post-24215-133877527585_thumb.jpg

Tadakun, DSS does align the stars. i had a look at your image, i found 2 sec was the limit at 200mm to prevent trailing. the 40d also has live view which makes focusing easier.

yeah i played around, im thinking tonight weather permitting ill try it out with my 50mm lens to reduce trails more. i bought nebulosity since i cant use Dss and so far its awesome so itll open up a whole new chance.

oh i dont quite understand the dar frames idea. when you stack does it use 97 seperate frames or just the same frame 97 times?

Archived