NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner looking at saturn.

For a decent view you need at least 150x magnification. 10x50 binocs will only magnify 10x - they'll show a lot more detail of the moon than usual and reveal stars in apparently empty areas of sky.

Look up the Beehive Cluster in Stellarium for a "great in binocs" open cluster. :)

10x50 binocs will only magnify 5x - they'll show a lot more detail of the moon than usual and reveal stars in apparently empty areas of sky.

(I'm sure it's just a typo, - 10x 50 binoculars will magnify 10 times with a 50mm light gathering aperture.)

Saturn's rings are possible to view at less than 50x, but you will need good eyesight. It will be impossible to really separate the ring from the planet however.

I've just been looking at Saturn with my binoculars - I can make out the rings and the gap between them and the planet. I've also spotted the moons Titan and Rhea which I'm pleased about with the bright moon nearby and Rhea being around magnitude 10.

I ought to say though that these binoculars are 25x100's :)

My old tripod is groaning under their weight though .........

I've not been able to resolve the rings with my 10x50's though I reckon I have spotted Titan occasionally when it's been well elongated from the planet.

Brantuk, - hope I didn't cause offence, I would have normally minded my own business. However, as this was posted in the Beginners Section I thought some people might have been confused by a 10x50 that magnifies just 5x.

I know I would!:)

Archived