Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Secondary mirror

jasperuk

I have only moved the primary mirror to collimate the scope so far as i just dont feel confortable messing with the little spider yet, if i never ever attempt to check and set the secondary mirror will that be a real problem for viewing and photography ?????

If the scope is collimated without moveing the secondary then you are ok for now. If not then you may well have to move the secondary to collimate the scope. It is normally the first step in collimation of a Newt. Andrew

Jasperuk,

Dont be afraid... just have a go at the secondary if required. Just dont rush into anything and make small adjustments always, it isnt as bad as you imagine. Put aside a 1/2 hour or hour to have a fiddle and dont be afraid, you'll never look back. Get stuck in.

Bart

Is there a set of instructions that are easy to follow and preferably dont involve actually making anything clever to complete the alignment, i aint very goot at making stuff

:)

I found this useful (Thanks Mel!): :)

Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

Noteworthy that, during transport, the main problem with my new F4 imaging Newt was that the secondary had rotated quite a bit. Once I had realised (corrected!) this, a whole lot of pointless screwing (sic) was alleviated! :)

It does seem to be a process where one has to eventually "take the plunge" though... :(

Getting your two mirrors pointed the right way isnt hard - just don't get bogged down and bear in mind all you are doing is making sure they are in line with each other and pointed so the reflection appears in the focus tube. I'm not a fan of astro-baby's explanations as they are very heavy going for such a straightforward subject. Buy a laser collimator (or even better borrow one to try it out) and you'll never look back!

Archived